Phaser not working in iOS 8?

zchan55@gmail.com

It's very very easy to overload an iPhone4 (or iPad2) GPU ram, which would cause quite horrendous swapping and performance. I would say now more than ever it's vital that you've been really careful in preparing your assets - minimising textures, keeping to ^2 dimensions, using atlases everywhere, not creating textures too large, basically not overloading the very limited GPUs.

With great power comes great responsibility 'n all that.

I notice you keep recommending POT texture sizes (over NPOT), last I checked, both Apple and Imagination Technologies don't share your concerns.

From the PowerVR Performance Recommendations - "2D applications (such as a browser or other application rendering UI elements where an NPOT texture is displayed with a one-to-one texel to pixel mapping) should see little performance loss from the use of NPOT textures other than possibly at upload time."

Also from the same, "In addition, any savings in memory requirements are very useful for mobile and tablet devices where memory is shared across an entire SoC (System on Chip)." ie. this series of chips don't have dedicated graphics RAM.

should see little performance loss from the use of NPOT textures other than possibly at upload time.

That's hardly a glowing endorsement imho, but fair enough.

However it would be worth checking what webkit does internally with textures and how it creates them, because it's there that it matters for us, not lower.