A Merry Babylon Christmas

gryff

A little piece to wish all on the Babylon Forum a happy and merry Christmas.

The Babylon Village

Inspired by 100s of images of Christmas villages and by

"Looking through my bedroom window, out into the moonlight and the unending smoke-colored snow, I could see the lights in the windows of all the other houses on our hill and hear the music rising from them up the long, steady falling night. I turned the gas down, I got into bed. I said some words to the close and holy darkness, and then I slept."      ...  by Dylan Thomas

Tested in Firefox (desktop) and IE11 (Toshiba laptop - Intel 4000 graphics)

Just a note about a couple of things: 1) the snowflakes is code I "borrowed" from Wingnut and 2) the Christmas tree lights from an idea by Wingnut (again) that I found in the "Chronicles".

Nadolig Llawen,  Merry Christmas,  Joyeux Noel,  Feliz Navidad,  to one and all.

cheers, gryff :)

Edit: I have edited the scene to include some music and a controls for music volume and camera speed. See post below. :)

First, Ty for all the nice comments and the likes. Makes me feel it was worthwhile. :)

Now I have made a few quick changes - including one suggested by Wingy.

1. The scene now plays some Christmas music - royalty free music from Kevin Macleod at incompetech.com. You can switch the music On/Off by hitting the "o" key. You can also change the volume Up or Down with the "u" and "d" keys.

2.  Wingy suggested a camera speed control - so now the camera can be made slower or faster with the "s" or "f" keys. Just remember the slower the camera the more difficult it is to walk up the "hills" .

This came as a remake of a piece I made in VRML over 10 years ago, and the toys in the shop are actually an import of VRML code, from another Christmas piece I made, into Blender.

So TY again for the comments - really makes me feel good. And feel free to pass the link onto friends.

Nadolig LLawen, Merry Christmas , Joyeux Noel, Feliz Navidad, and especially for Do_it,  Frohe Weihnachten

gryff :)

Do you mind me taking some ideas for my own project?

Not sure what you mean by that josh. But If you see anything you like with it - feel free to just go for it. :)

Or if you mean ideas and concepts - well I got the ideas from poetry, Christmas images and even the one or two movies. And of course my collection of Nutcracker Soldiers. :rolleyes:  The concept is just a mix of ideas I have run across in my lifetime. The snowman you see is "Le Bon Homme" - a character that comes from French Canadian culture that I first "met" when my kids were in school.

Nadolig LLawen, Merry Christmas , Joyeux Noel, Feliz Navidad, and  Frohe Weihnachten

cheers, gryff :)

Footprints. the terrain has a single texture (no repeats) created by "dirty vertex painting" the terrain model. I then took a top down view of the terrain with the major buildings and textured with a grid map so i know where the footprints should go and not go. Then in photoshop, I just painted on the footprints away from major buildings using "footprint brushes". Nothing extraordinary.

The xmas trees: tTwo types, distant and close up. The distant are just two crossed planes with a texture with transparency. The close up ones have more polys but again use a texture of "branches" applied carefully over the rings of polys. Thing to watch out for with the trees is z-buffer fighting.

If you want to know more - just let me know Josh.

Nadolig LLawen, Merry Christmas , Joyeux Noel, Feliz Navidad, and  Frohe Weihnachten

Thanks for the camera speed controls, G-man!  Now I can really ease-in on the fine details.  It's just a wonderful scene... in every way.  I enthusiastically vote for this scene to be added to the BJS website demos.  Gryff, your modelling skills are second to none, and your JS skills are advancing at an amazing rate.  Killer nice work!

And thank you Babylon.js authors and contributors... for connecting the artists and storytellers (like Gryff) to the webGL canvas.  Nice work there, too.

And thank you Babylon.js authors and contributors... for connecting the artists and storytellers (like Gryff) to the webGL canvas

Yes Wingy - I have to agree. Those "authors and contributors" have made it so much easier to work with the WebGL canvas - even if I sometimes have to struggle with the coding I want.

As for the "Village" I hope maybe to have an improved version for next Christmas. I did this one basically from scratch - except the toys - a new one will be easier and have more stuff to play with ;)