Bomb Fall: my first HTML5 game

ugriffin

Hey everyone, 

I've mostly been a 'native code, FY!' type of guy, and I've ignored HTML5 for the most part. However, after checking out some of the earnings people do on HTML5 I figured a stab at it would be a good way to try to make some money, and, failing that, improve my art skills. So yesterday I started churning out the art for my very first game, Bomb Fall.

It's a very basic, mobile-targeted game, and I'm trying to be as austere as possible code-wise because I am not yet familiar with HTML5's performance across browsers. Made with GameMaker: Studio. 

Any feedback of the art-direction I've taken is greatly appreciated, as my main non-monetary reason for this is to make better art. I've also localised it to Spanish and French. 

Play here: http://www.urielgriffin.com/html5/BombFall/

bombfallsizetest.png

If you're looking for feedback on art... not sure what your previous art style is, so I'll provide some friendly criticism.

First, I like the color choices you made. The sky gradient is very nice and the choice of greens in your fauna was pleasant.

The style is very cartoony / directed towards kids. If that's what you're going for, great.

The lack of animation was disappointing.

Aside from the art, though, I particularly liked how you managed to mimic the natural falling motion by moving the red character from left to right on the screen and having the bomb move towards that. Pretty clever :D

The graphical style is nice and refreshing compared to the usual games, though I wished it animated a little. I agree something needs to happen when you hit a bomb, even if it's a small simple effect.

I would put the score and lives somewhere near the bottom to make sure you see all of the top screen without clutter.

if you're looking for feedback on the art direction - and this is just a personal preference thing not a criticism - one thing I might do is try to make the background stand out less than the game elements, particularly around where the action happens, this would allow the player to focus on the gameplay more easily and add a feeling of depth.

eg.

bombfall.jpg