Someone tried Spine and Spriter?

Victor

I was going to buy a Spriter license, when I read that Spine support vector images.

Spriter: http://www.brashmonkey.com/index.htm

Spine: http://esotericsoftware.com/

Someone has done a deep test of them? I don't want to ignore Spine if it's features worth the money.

Spriter seems more intuitive to me.

Vector and better plugins support are the only advantages that I can find in Spine.

I've used a little bit of Spine, I find it pretty awesome. The interface is pretty intuitive and I like it because it has runtimes for many platforms including HTML, Unity & Flash. I animated something in Spine and played it back in HTML with Pixi.js and it worked out pretty well.

I've never heard of Dragonbones but it looks pretty neat. Looks a bit similar to Spine, although the workflow is different.

There's a demo for Spine, it's fully featured except for export/save I believe. It's worth checking out.

I don't know anything about the vector support though. You can import .ai or .eps files? Do they generate spritesheets as well?

I've not yet tried Spine but I've had very good experiences of using DragonBones. If you've used flash before you will find it very easy. You can use any assets you might have in flash, so vector or bitmap. It can export atlas and animation data in XML or json, and a spritesheet png or individual pngs if you want to put them into an atlas of your own. You can also export at multiple scales if you want to handle retina displays that way. Best of all it is free (although flash isn't of course!)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've tried to research a bit about these bone animation possibilities, but haven't yet found a good solution. Spine seem fine, but the licensing is a bit downer in our case. I have to clarify about that from Esoteric Software.

Right now the viable solutions seems to be:

* Illustrator -> Flash Pro -> DragonBones JSON -> custom converter to Spine (shouldn't be too hard) -> Phaser/pixi.js.

* Illustrator -> Flash Pro -> DragonBones JSON -> DragonBones.js -> Phaser/pixi.js

This unless I'm missing something. I'll probably be going either route. Mobile performance is important, so probably the latter unless it proves problematic. Anyone working on this or already done? I got no experience on Phaser.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to export JSON from dragon bones to work with pixi.js, but it seems to follow EaselJS spine JSON format.

Is there anyway to convert the format to work with pixi.js?

It's not too hard to modify the createjs factory to work with other formats. I was quickly able to make a Cocos2DHTML5 version for work, and a version for my own framework which has DisplayObjects and DisplayObjectContainers very similar to Pixi.js. You just have to modify the Cocos2DTextureAtlas.prototype.parseData function to handle the appropriate data structure, then the Cocos2DFactory.prototype._generateDisplay function to generate and transform display content as required. Works perfectly!