[Video] The HTML5 Mobile Games Sponsorship Market: 10 Things Every Developer Should Know

Alexander Krug

One of the most interesting topics for me is the amount of devices a developer should be expected to have tested on.

Just trying in the browser hardly feels adequate in most peoples opinion I think, but at the same time we're not expecting every developer to try their games on every possible device with every possible OS version.

So how do you draw the line? (not just asking Alexander in the video here)

One iPhone is not a huge deal. Having an extra iPhone just to keep an older operating system could be feasible if you upgrade to a newer one and keep the old one. At the same time you cannot switch the OS since Apple wont let you downgrade (thanks Apple). So make sure you don't upgrade, or make sure if you buy one that it's "old enough" for you.

For iOS devices - In my opinion, maybe an iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 at the most. And an iPad.

Then maybe an Android pad and an Android phone. Here in Sweden the Windows 8 phone market seems quite small, so small in fact that I can't name a single Win8Phone model.

Regardless it IS a bit of an investment, but I guess that's what's gonna separate the boys from the boys with money for more toys?

@tackle One solution may be to create a group of developers that are compromissed to test other developers in their devices and report the problems (but I don't think it's a practical solution).

A more expensive solution (but cheaper than buying many devices) is to use a service like DeviceAnywhere.

Personaly, I haven't used DeviceAnywhere services so I cannot opinate about its quality.

Hope it helps.

@alexander-krug I didn't understand the point about F2P, as you say that was a mistake you made, what was the mistake? not to have IAP's in your game? because I would of thought HTML5 games need to be at least free to play otherwise if you put up a payment gateway before plays can play you are just going down the store route again. Or did you mean not having ads?

• 3 weeks later...

@biggerplay: The mistake was that we tried to invest a lot money into a field which just doesnt work on HTML5 due to missing payment options. Whoever tells u he can make it, forget it. As long as Google or Apple has not implemented it into their OS, nobody will use it.

Building casual games without any inapp purchases is a way easier and faster. You can sell the licenses to sponsors, forget about it and focus on a new project. Freemium always means that u have to take care about your project for a loooooooong period of time with unkown income. Therefore I highy recommend everybody to not working on freemium now. U'll waste time and better options to make money.

Btw: There is a newer version of the presentation available / online which has been recorded during DevGAMM in December, 2013: