Textured skydome

markt5000

A long time ago I remember coming across a post that used a skydome (sphere) instead of the skybox. The sphere is much easier since only one texture has to be wrapped. Does anyone know how I can start from a hdri image and wrap it on a sphere to simulate a sky?

hdri_sky_037.jpg

Simply create a sphere and apply a texture.

Something like this should work:

var skySphere = BABYLON.Mesh.CreateSphere("skySphere", 16, 100, scene);
skySphere.isPickable = false;
skySphere.position = BABYLON.Vector3.Zero();

var skySphereMaterial = new BABYLON.StandardMaterial("skySphereMaterial", scene);
skySphereMaterial.backFaceCulling = false;
skySphereMaterial.reflectionTexture = new BABYLON.Texture("path/yourTexture.jpg", scene);
skySphereMaterial.reflectionTexture.coordinatesMode = BABYLON.Texture.PROJECTION_MODE;
skySphereMaterial.diffuseColor = BABYLON.Color3.Black();
skySphereMaterial.specularColor = BABYLON.Color3.Black();
skySphere.material = skySphereMaterial;

Edited by Dad72
replace EXPLICITE_MODE  by BABYLON.Texture.PROJECTION_MODE

@markt5000 Hi!  I used the term 'skydome' in a couple posts in The Wingnut Chronicles, but they don't apply here.  One was a "star dome" that used a particleSystem (with custom update and startPosition funcs, and two web-stolen math funcs) to place non-flying particles in a sphere-shape.  No cloud texture involved there. 

The other skydome I mentioned... was when I "borrowed" the mesh shape used in the BJS super-demo called Assassin's Creed - Pirates.  It has a strange shape, and I never tried to place a texture on it.  But have at it.  I doubt that the shape is copyrighted, but who knows?  Check with @Deltakosh before using commercially, I'd suggest.  There is SOME reason why Assassin's Creed - Pirates used that skydome mesh shape (as opposed to a classic skybox), so I thought I better steal it and experiment.  Feel free to take it further.  The skies in that demo.... look pretty nice.

These demos (the posts they were presented-in) might be where you heard the term skydome, here on the forum.  Just thought I would quench any thirsty curiosities. :)

Now back to markt5000's question, which I don't have an answer-for.