Vikings vs Monsters - Turn based RPG

SpotTheOrange

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share our latest release, Vikings vs Monsters with you.

It's a turn based RPG where you control a squad of vikings defending their village against invading monsters.

You can find more info and try it out here: http://spottheorangegames.com/html5-games/#VikingsVsMonsters

The game is available for non exclusive licensing.

menu.png

ingame1.png

ingame2.png

Feedback is greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks!

A simplified turn-based RPG. :) I like the hand drawn sprites. The game plays very smoothly. I also like the 'reverse' system.(3 chances before game over). I died on wave 11.

If you(developer) can, make the current level (or round) shown on the side of the battle screen, it will be easier to know our current level.

I like the game so far, good job! 

Very nice start !

I went to level 20 (i think, not sure, it was like the 5th dragon I fought), and got a bit bored ^^

But anyway it's a solid start, really.

To me, the most important is : fonts... I can't read the damage I do without hurting my eyes, and that's really annoying.

Secondly... I don't know. I actually think that a game as simple as this one can hook me up a few hours if the interface is better. S idk, either work the game mechanics, or a more complete HUD.

Maybe changing the way heroes level up would make it more interesting too. Idk .. ^^

Congrats again, I'd like to do that much myself ;-)

Nice game. I feel like much of my decisions to play strategically really do matter and the difficulty ramp seems good - nice work!

The only problem I have with the game is that I have no idea what some of the special moves do! What does woodcutter do? It seems like just a normal attack. And what does double dash do? He attacks twice but I don't really see much difference in damage.

I also agree with Allen T; it would be nice to see what level you are on.

Also; do I always have to start from the beginning? No progress save? That is kind of a huge bummer in my opinion for this type of game. Would be cool if I could continue where I left off. It does not really seem fun to start fighting that single wolf and get to the challenging parts again. Other than that it's good!

On 2016-11-15 at 10:48 PM, oukourj said:

Very nice start !

I went to level 20 (i think, not sure, it was like the 5th dragon I fought), and got a bit bored ^^

But anyway it's a solid start, really.

To me, the most important is : fonts... I can't read the damage I do without hurting my eyes, and that's really annoying.

Secondly... I don't know. I actually think that a game as simple as this one can hook me up a few hours if the interface is better. S idk, either work the game mechanics, or a more complete HUD.

Maybe changing the way heroes level up would make it more interesting too. Idk .. ^^

Congrats again, I'd like to do that much myself ;-)

That's really interesting. I will for certain look into making the font more readable and making the user interface more interesting. :)

Thanks oukourj!

On 2016-11-16 at 10:41 AM, Goblet Ed said:

Nice game. I feel like much of my decisions to play strategically really do matter and the difficulty ramp seems good - nice work!

The only problem I have with the game is that I have no idea what some of the special moves do! What does woodcutter do? It seems like just a normal attack. And what does double dash do? He attacks twice but I don't really see much difference in damage.

I also agree with Allen T; it would be nice to see what level you are on.

Also; do I always have to start from the beginning? No progress save? That is kind of a huge bummer in my opinion for this type of game. Would be cool if I could continue where I left off. It does not really seem fun to start fighting that single wolf and get to the challenging parts again. Other than that it's good!

Ah, good point - there probably should be some kind of explanation of the abilities! Not entirely sure how/where to put it yet, but I'll look into it.

Storing the progress between sessions makes perfect sense and wouldn't even be that much work. It's on my list.

Thanks Goblet Ed! :)

Oh good comments indeed @Goblet Ed, it's true that I felt I was playing "blind" with no info about abilities.

You could do a hover-triggered tooltip on abilities buttons. At player lvlUp it could show a description, and when playing, it could also show potential damage done.

Hover tooltips could be great on enemies too, to show applied effects (mostly if you plan to add more effects in the future). Alternatively, just make the stun animation a bit more visible, it felt slightly "drafted" at this point.

Well, my 2 cents... I should get back to my own code :P:rolleyes:

@oukourj: Tool tips could certainly work, as long as I find a mechanic that feels good on touch devices as well. I also think you have a good point about the description needing to be available both in the upgrade and ability selection menus. Showing the effective damage as well is a great idea. Oh, and then I probably need to look over the stun animation. Thanks for the additional feedback, it's very helpful! :D

@m4rk2s: Thanks for the feedback! :)