Phaser on Android, runs really slow (Cordova / Phone Gap)

koobazaur

Heya,

So I just did a little test APP using one of the samples that just tweens a single sprite. And it runs at 4 fps :| Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? 

I have tried both PhoneGap and Cordova. Here's the code:

var game = new Phaser.Game(800, 600, Phaser.AUTO, 'phaser-example', { preload: preload, create: create, update: update});
var theText;
var sprite;

function preload() {

game.load.image('disk', 'assets/sprites/copy-that-floppy.png');
	game.time.advancedTiming = true;
}

function create() {

sprite = game.add.sprite(400, 100, 'disk');

game.add.tween(sprite).to( { angle: 45 }, 2000, Phaser.Easing.Linear.None, true);
    game.add.tween(sprite.scale).to( { x: 2, y: 2 }, 2000, Phaser.Easing.Linear.None, true);

theText = game.add.text(game.world.centerX, game.world.centerY, "FPS: ", {
        font: "65px Arial",
        fill: "#ff0044",
        align: "center"
    });

theText.anchor.setTo(0.5, 0.5);

}

function update()
{
	 game.debug.text(game.time.fps || '--', 2, 14, "#00ff00");   
	 theText.setText("Time " + game.time.time + "\nFPS " + game.time.fps);
}

Hi, slightly different but relevant... a few months ago I ran heavy load app with babylon in Ionic and it did ok.

Performance information is hard to come by in this area. Ionic seemed like a nice angular extension of PhoneGap, but -> heavy.

So good question - I'd like to know more.

I haven't tried Crosswalk. If it uses Cordova, is there a reason why I should try it in lieu of Cordova directly?

I ran the test APK on actual phone and it did much better. But one of my other simpler games still ran pretty choppy :/ 

I tried my latest and I just get black screen, not even loading. Is there a way to view the console log? Tried going to sdk/platform-tools and calling:

adb logcat browser:V *:S

But it didn't show a single console log line :/

Cordova uses your default Webview (the default factory browser you have installed in your phone), Crosswalk is a custom webview which has many features like WebGL which will boost your performance. If you would like to debug you can use Android Studio. Import your project from cordovaProject/platforms/android (it should have the .gradle files). Hit build than run your game on emulator or using a real device with ADB (Android Debug Bridge) enabled. You should now see the logcat tab from Android Studio and check if there's any text.

Hi, I am pretty sure, that "game.debug.text" will be first thing, that will slow your game down a lot. Second thing may be using non-sprite font for text.

I also believe, that your game (example) runs very slowly even if not wrapped with Cordova (if run directly in mobile browser).

From my experience also calling console.log often slows game a lot, so be sure to comment out these outputs in production code.

Phaser + Cordova have better performance with low resolution. But the performance is bad. Not for platformers. 

PIXI + Cordova with high resolution has better performance. And it has better performance with big resolution of the game (wtf? ) But you need to write from scratch many good things that Phaser offers.