[Famo.us] Mobile wrapper

xnamex

Have you guys, looked into http://famo.us ?

They've announced a release date, and also a great new mobile wrapper for iOS, Android and Kindle, which by default would give you the chance to chose what type of webview you'd like and also webgl enabled by default!

They are saying, that, this wrapper is better that Phonegap, with a whole new magnitude.

I wonder, if anyone from here will participate into their onsite training, and could try and do a demo with Pixi.js.

It would be really interesting to see something done with their mobile wrapper, and see what exactly could be achieve in terms of performance.

Here's their launching presentation

Cheers!

So much vc money for a bunch of css3 transforms  :rolleyes:

Let's face it, their wrapper wouldn't have to be that great to beat PhoneGap! and I'm dubious about how well it will perform for games (everything about famous reeks of apps), but it will be interesting to test for sure.

This was my first thought too, and maybe that's why I'm so curios, because PhoneGap really is pure crap, and Coccon, Ejecta, etc., needs a bit to much tweaks to be able to wrap you app. 

About games, they do have a 2D/3D webgl powered renderer, so we'll see.

The only thing that, they didn't mentioned yet, in the first days, they were talking about actually stripping the DOM elements of unnecessary properties, and leaving only the needed ones, smth like that, anyway.

Honestly I almost never jump the gun on some library, you'll never know what you'll bump into - just like I bumped into Pixi, Phaser, idk if you know them, haha :P, as javascript developers I really think, we are a strong community, and yeah we could say from the start, that library is crap, but who knows, I bet any serious library could teach you something, maybe something about failure or what not to do.

In any way, if somebody has some results, I would be more than grateful.

Cheers! 

I've nothing against them or their library, and for app developers I genuinely hope it solves a lot of the pain and rubbish they have to go through today. But games are a world apart, require different internals / renderer / way of thinking, which is why I'm dubious. Happy to be proven wrong though.

Dubious too, this has been hyped to hell on various tech forums, but like Rich said they haven't really demoed much other than a useless periodic table app using CSS3 transforms running in a presumably stripped back chromium fork or something similar. They've yet to demo anything that really shows anything beyond that capability, but at least the release date means it isn't complete vapourware!

You can see some demos and code here:

http://codepen.io/befamous/

I'm also skeptical. They say they want to ship apps with Blink; how would this get accepted by Apple on iOS?

Most of their focus so far has been on making a 3D engine (basically rewriting ThreeJS and TweenLite), and positioning the DOM with matrix3d CSS. Unless they also provide an open source and flexible compiler to native apps, their tech probably won't be all that useful for games.