Using Pixi for procedural image drawing.

MrBurda

Hello! I'm writing a pixelArt game.

1) I'd like to use procedural image generation, i e using functions to create and modify images pixel by pixel on fly. Some examples: modifying images to create dynamic shadows on an object itself, grass reacting to player movement, characters calculated/ animated in vector, but then pixel clothes grows on the vector sceleton and displayed.

My Question is: Can Pixi do pixel manipulation? Is there smth I should know about it? Is Pixi - the best choice for such a task? Is it even gives any advantages, compared to HTML Canvas pixel manipulation, e g does it use GPU or smth?

2)I'd like to scale pixels freely, so two objects on scene can have pixels of different sizes. Is there a proper way to do it? I'm thinking of using some scale method on image or just drawing a lot of rectangles, with PIXI ParticleContainer or smth..

Also if someone thinks that my ideas are dumb for some reason, and I should prerender everything, please say so! 

Here's some probably irrelevant information: I plan to desktop the game, using electron.

Thanks for attention! ?

The only interface in PixiJS that gives advantages for pixel manipulations is called TextureResource, it was introduced in v5. I didnt see anything like that in other renderers, but if you use it right, you can make your own Bitmap. There're no articles on it, only one example https://pixijs.io/examples/#/textures/gradient-resource.js and one hack: https://github.com/pixijs/pixi.js/wiki/v5-Hacks#pixisprite . If have to know what "subTexImage2D" is and how to do manipulations with html5 canvas getImageData/putImageData.

I use pixel manipulation a lot and in a few months ill be ready to make Bitmap plugin that allows to do it.

However, you might be intereseted in manipulations with RenderTexture, shaders and filters - it allows to create your own lighting and other effects.