Phaser 0.9.5 Released

rich

Pretty substantial update here!

https://github.com/photonstorm/phaser

• Moved the BootScreen and PauseScreen out of Stage into their own classes (system/screens/BootScreen and PauseScreen).
  • Updated the PauseScreen to show a subtle animation effect, making it easier to create your own interesting pause screens.
  • Modified Game so it splits into 3 loops - bootLoop, pauseLoop and loop (the core loop).
  • Updated the BootScreen with the new logo and new color cycle effect.
  • Added Game.isRunning - set to true once the Game.boot process is over IF you gave some functions to the constructor or a state.
  • Fixed small bug in Signal.removeAll where it could try to shorten the _bindings even if undefined.
  • Added the new FXManager which is used for handling all special effects on Cameras (and soon other game objects).
  • Removed Flash, Fade and Shake from the Camera class and moved to the new SpecialFX project.
  • SpecialFX compiles to phaser-fx.js in the build folder, which is copied over to Tests. If you don't need the FX, don't include the .js file.
  • The project is now generating TypeScript declaration files and all Tests were updated to use them in their references.
  • Fixed a bug in Flash, Fade and Shake where the duration would fail on anything above 3 seconds.
  • Fixed a bug in Camera Shake that made it go a bit haywire, now shakes correctly.
  • Added new Scanlines Camera FX.
  • Fixed offset values being ignored in GeomSprite.renderPoint (thanks bapuna).
  • Added new Mirror Camera FX. Can mirror the camera image horizontally, vertically or both with an optional fill color overlay.
  • Added Camera.disableClipping for when you don't care about things being drawn outside the edge (usful for some FX).
  • Updated TilemapLayer so that collision data is now stored in _tempTileBlock to avoid constant array creation during game loop.
  • TilemapLayer.getTileOverlaps() now returns all tiles the object overlapped with rather than just a boolean.
  • Tilemap.collide now optionally takes callback and context parameters which are used if collision occurs.
  • Added Tilemap.collisionCallback and Tilemap.collisionCallbackContext so you can set them once and not re-set them on every call to collide.
  • Collision.separateTile now has 2 extra parameters: separateX and separateY. If true the object will be separated on overlap, otherwise just the overlap boolean result is returned.
  • Added Tile.separateX and Tile.separateY (both true by default). Set to false if you don't want a tile to stop an object from moving, you just want it to return collision data to your callback.
  • Added Tilemap.getTileByIndex(value) to access a specific type of tile, rather than by its map index.
  • Added TilemapLayer.putTile(x,y,index) - allows you to insert new tile data into the map layer (create your own tile editor!).
  • TilemapLayer.getTileBlock now returns a unique Array of map data, not just a reference to the temporary block array
  • Added TilemapLayer.swapTile - scans the given region of the map for all instances of tileA and swaps them for tileB, and vice versa.
  • Added TilemapLayer.replaceTile - scans the given region of the map and replaces all instances of tileA with tileB. tileB is left unaffected.
  • Added TilemapLayer.fillTiles - fills the given region of the map with the tile specified.
  • Added TilemapLayer.randomiseTiles - fills the given region of the map with a random tile from the list specified.
  • Added fun new "map draw" test - reflect those carrots! :)
  • Changed SoundManager class to respect volume on first place (thanks initials and hackmaniac)

I especially like the new "map draw" test suite demo :)

Really exciting. I'm probably going to hold off on trying to use Phaser until 1.0 is out, because I'm still a beginning programmer so the tutorials are kind of important to me, but I really like everything I see =)

• 1 month later...

Correct, I'm past the point of no return now and 1.0 will be the next official release. And it's one heck of a release too. Pretty much everything has changed, but honestly for the better. The same core features remain, plus a lot of new ones and if anything it's more streamlined now as a result.

Also is there some light if it's going to come after:

a) 1 week

b 2 weeks

c) 1 months

d) when it's done

I ask this not to rush you or anything but to make a plan, for a project of mine (Memory Game) and to consider using

phaser as game engine.

As it looks the best dev friendly environment with Visual Studio and TypeScript. :)

Have you thought about using Trello to 'park' your ideas and plan a roadmap?  I've seen a few open-source projects doing this lately, and it seems like a great way to stay organized and keep your releases under control.  Plus it gives lots of visibility to your users, and I think even lets people vote on features they want to see the most.

Here are a couple examples:

Meteor: https://trello.com/board/meteor-roadmap/508721606e02bb9d570016ae

Adobe Brackets: https://trello.com/board/brackets/4f90a6d98f77505d7940ce88

I've used Trello in the past but never really got into it. I think post 1.0 release I'd be happy to investigate it again for features. The framework isn't "growing" right now, I'm not really adding new features at all, it's just a huge lot of stabilising work and laying foundations for future expansion. That, along with building several live projects in it is taking its toll on my time really. But I cracked a massive issue today re: collision that has been bugging me for a few weeks now, which is always nice :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...