How do you playtest?

Evan Burchard

After your game is playable and working, how do you make sure it's fun?  Do you bring other people into the process early or wait till the end?  A related question, before the game is actually playable enough for playtesting to be possible, do you show artwork to anyone for feedback?

I find that when I don't playtest, the games end up being a good challenge for me, but too hard for someone who isn't living in the game as it's being built. 

At the Poppenkast we have a daily development thread where we share everything from ideas, mock-ups, screen shots, early demos and so forth and so on. It is a great way to get feedback early on the development stages which can translate into motivation to keep going (or not) and a good way to keep the game showcase 'clean'.

I wonder why we don't have one of these threads around here...?

About play testing, I try not to show stuff until I think is done, unless is a side project or at the Poppenkast where is private.

About the difficulty, yeah I also have to lower it and make it really easy for me, or it will be too hard for the players.

And how to make a game fun? Well I remember showing a very early version of a game to some online friends, saying that I would probably give it up because it wasn't fun enough. They said it was very good and spent much time on it, trying to beat each other's score, so I continued the development. Turned out it became my most successful game(by far).

And sometimes, you just have to take some risks to make a game. The last game I released had a poor reception, but at least I tried, and I made a game that was different from the other ones.