GameMaker: Studio 1.2 coming soon

-AAG-

I think the performace of HTML5 code remains the same. Their new compiler will compile your game to native code so your code will not be interpreted anymore, but this can happen only on Pc, Mac, Android and iOs. The native code is definitely much more faster than interpreted code. But if you build your game for HTML5 then GM:S just only translate your game to JavaScript (there is no compiler involved). Sure they can optimise their HTML5 export but I think this is not going to happen in GM:S 1.2.

I dont think html5 will get any boost from compiler, besides yoyo doesnt care for their html5 module anyway.

Performance increase will only help for ios,pc and android. To be honest theres not much use of the compiler, i mean games already  run well on those devices anyway. Only platform games doesnt run well is HTML5.

I do have master edition so i will see when it comes out

I don't completely agree that they don't care about HTML5, It gets patched and fixed as often as all the other modules. They do seem more focused on adding content rather than polishing what they already have thou.

There really does seem to be a huge range for improvement in these things, though it really does have to be interpreter-side. I just checked and I get something like a factor of 8 speedup using Node-Webkit compared to running stuff directly in Opera. There are significant performance variations among the browsers too; it makes it harder than I'd like to target performance.

On the other hand, I guess if you write it to work on a cellphone, no one's going to have trouble at the desktop level.

I hope the 3D aspects can actually be used for mobile... but I'm pretty sure the hold-up is more on the mobile browser's side of things than on GM:S's capabilities.

While a lot of the technology is, I'm disappointed in the rate in which they are (aren't, rather) fixing existing bugs on their html5 export. I've got some games prototyped but won't work on HTML5 due to bugs. I've filed several back in November, but they're still "assigned."