(GM:S) Weird errors on iPhone 4s with OS5 installed

-AAG-

I sponsor just got back to me and presented and pointed 2 errors while testing my games on his iPhone 4s with OS5 installed. When playing Find IT! he was hit by a dreadful brown screen and nothing else. Just the background color, no game at all. Then he tried Boxed and got this error message: "Tiled image Failed - index_size_err DOM exception. Error picture is attached.

The background for the games is a tiled small image, I'm guessing that is what it is.

I am on GM:Studio, I set pixel interpolation off, leave webgl disabled and use the tutorial method for scaling the screen.

Anyone ever gotten weird errors like these before? My games usually run just fine on i-devices.

post-2904-0-68196600-1375734257.png

The Index Size error is almost certainly a result of trying to draw to the canvas outside of its allowed bounds. Only really crappy browsers fail on this - for example if the image data is 100px wide but you say its 101px wide when you drawImage it, then it throws the error you've got in your screen shot. iOS6, Chrome, etc handle it gracefully, but old Android/iOS die on you. The problem is, if you're using GameMaker it should handle this all for you automatically! So maybe it could be something else in this case - how large is the Tiled image? Is it bigger than Safari can cope with? Does the game have a lot of graphics in (a lot of large images), it could just be it's too large for Safari to cope with, so it errors.

The tiled image is only 40x40. The whole sprite sheet is 512x1024. Like you said GM takes care of the tiling itself. I'll try making a single background image instead. Thanks for the quick and in-depth reply.

Boxed_texture_0.png

I found in a yoyo games document this:

...You should realize that sprites are far more optimized in the iOS and Android runner than the use of 
backgrounds. Hence you are recommended to use backgrounds only as actual backgrounds in rooms 
and for all other purposes use sprites. Although you can use tiles...

Here you can download the full PDF (page 16):

I found in a yoyo games document this:

...You should realize that sprites are far more optimized in the iOS and Android runner than the use of 
backgrounds. Hence you are recommended to use backgrounds only as actual backgrounds in rooms 
and for all other purposes use sprites. Although you can use tiles...

Here you can download the full PDF (page 16):

Yes, but this only applies to games compiled directly for Android or iOS not for HTML5 games.