Lack of turn-based multiplayer games

austin

• 2 weeks later...

Multiplayer games seem to be way more complex to code then single player only games. 

I started making a turn based multiplayer game in March 2010. Spent about 300 working days on it until now - but part of that effort was due to having no previous experience in HTML5 and Javascript.

There might be a lack of ideas. But on the other hand, there are many games out there which can be adapted to be a HTML5 multiplayer game.

The biggest problem is probably the needed effort, and the lack of will of the game studios to experiment.

Dear skilled devs, you can still make multiplayer games if you like, just find an idea that doesn't require skills you don't have! Keep them small, keep them cheap to make, and have fun developing.   ;) 

If one has to earn money with it, that might be correct.

Else I would dismiss all in the quote but "have fun developing" and perhaps add a "always have a working prototype". 
When I started developing the game, I had no HTML5 skills whatsoever. I created the draw-routine of the canvas first and provided content to it from the server, and then I just continued adding content. All the time, I had a game which worked...

Multiplayer is orders of magnitude more complex than single player, but, as the OP stated, the web is perfectly suited for this type of game, as in, it was created in part to cater for this sort of application.

I think he's right, there should be more types of games like this.

Problem, of course, is that most people just dont have the skills or the time. As indie devs you do need to keep your projects tight and unless you can find funding up front to give you time to work on it, the complexity limits the number of these types of games being produced.

Until developers can self-fund or get funding upfront in a reliable way you wont see complex games produced by indies often. Its just a different space.

I'd love for that to change. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2015 at 5:07 PM, Skratti said:

Multiplayer games seem to be way more complex to code then single player only games. 

I started making a turn based multiplayer game in March 2010. Spent about 300 working days on it until now - but part of that effort was due to having no previous experience in HTML5 and Javascript.

There might be a lack of ideas. But on the other hand, there are many games out there which can be adapted to be a HTML5 multiplayer game.

The biggest problem is probably the needed effort, and the lack of will of the game studios to experiment.

If one has to earn money with it, that might be correct.

Else I would dismiss all in the quote but "have fun developing" and perhaps add a "always have a working prototype". 
When I started developing the game, I had no HTML5 skills whatsoever. I created the draw-routine of the canvas first and provided content to it from the server, and then I just continued adding content. All the time, I had a game which worked...

same here.
I never could earn anything good from multiplayer games. except learn more and more.
however, I only worked on html5 board games. (you know? make circles, checkers, etc are easy for non-artist guys :D)
If a day I catch a close artist friend, I might make better multiplayer games and earn something :/
but anyway developing multiplayer games is fun! don't?
i mean when your server crashes, and lots of users keep see "Connection problem", connenction broked, some of them swearing and cursing to you, some other laughing to you, others makes fun of you, lol i noticed these 1000 times :))
or when you need to restart your server while players have playing the game and they getting mad when you close their games... :D
with all these challenges I still likes to develop multiplayer games. kind of addict. this is addict because when you earn nothing your games, but still continue working on them, or maybe i'm sick :D i don't know.

On 1/30/2015 at 11:43 AM, AVENGER NO WAR said:

multiplayer games are waste of time...

however, i addicted to make multiplayer games.

but always i lack of players!

player A joins the room, no one is ready to play with it, he left the room, 30 seconds later next players comes, again no one is to play with him and left.... lack of players!

i thinks a multiplayer game need LUCK to success.

whenever i made a multiplayer game, i posted the url on reddit and other websites, only first days i had active players on game and very fast lost all players.

i want to make a success multiplayer game! but i just can't. programming is no enough.

Multiplayer HTML 5 games nowadays needs to work like Diablo 2 did.  You join a game, and can play through the entire game by yourself even if no one is online. This solves the problem of 'lack of player's.

Don't make a game dependent on other player's, but make a game dependent on it's core. Multiplayer is icing on the cake.

On 1/22/2016 at 4:04 AM, WombatTurkey said:

Multiplayer HTML 5 games nowadays needs to work like Diablo 2 did.  You join a game, and can play through the entire game by yourself even if no one is online. This solves the problem of 'lack of player's.

Don't make a game dependent on other player's, but make a game dependent on it's core. Multiplayer is icing on the cake.

I agree with this. You need to be able to come/go AND play with bots or by yourself. If nobody else is online. Prob 10 minutes of self directed play might be enough time for someone to log in help and populate the world.