Penguin Jump - WIP

GrindheadGames

penguin-jump.png

Ok so ages ago when learning how to use Phaser, I made a game called Duck Up: http://phaser.io/news/2014/10/hot-games

It was the first thing I had made in Phaser, and now that I have become a lot better with the framework, I have decided to rebuild the game into something a bit more playable when i'm not working on client projects. At the moment it is still a work in progress, but I thought it would be a good time to share the game and get a little bit of feedback. 

You can play the game in its current format here: http://grindheadgames.com/demo/duck-jump/

Couple of cool features:

• The floor is made up of about 10 tiles. A floor manager caches positions into an array, allowing for an endless level that can be traveled forwards and back through with little overhead. 
  • I made the game using our level editing software / SDK PhaserLE. I will most likely comment all the code with JavaDoc style notation and open source the game code, so that others can see how it was put together and possibly learn from it. 

Left to do:

• I want to add a crumbling floor.
  • an enemy, to slow you, creating a time penalty. most likely a pelican that will catch and hold you in its mouth until you button bash enough to get out. 
  • achievements
  • standardise the distance between floor tiles, so they only require a single or double jump. Currently some tiles are kind of half way between the 2. 
  • achievements
  • facebook integration 
  • mobile scaling and optimization. 

Any feedback greatly appreciated! It still has a long way to go, but the art is pretty and hopefully people will find it fun. 

Ok so I put a new update live a few minutes ago, included in this build are crumbling blocks, which will disappear from under your feet after a short period of time. I will not keep them like this, because they can make sections of the level unpassable if you do not complete it first time. I am thinking about making it so they respawn after a short while, which would just enforce a time penalty on the player rather than a long wait to die. 

The barrels have also been updated, they will now spin all the time and some will also now move between points. This sets up some pretty interesting zones where you have to time shots between barrels really well. Inspiration for this section comes directly from Donkey Kong Country, a game I am a huge fan of. I can probably make this section a bit nicer by adding a tween or something to the barrel movement, and by adding some predefined patterns of barrels to navigate. Vertically moving barrels would make things even more interesting :P Currently the spawning algorithm for them is fairly basic, and will just spawn barrels within a range of pixels. These two issues will probably be the focus of my attention in the next update. 

Had a quick play on desktop, looks cute and colourful!

I found I was fighting the inertia a bit as the penguin seemed to continue drifting while in the air and I would sail over a platform and into the sea!

I wonder if tighter control while in the air would reduce frustration and allow the player to focus more on piecing together quick combinations of leaps? Either that or have the platforms longer to help the player at the beginning?

The barrels were fun when I got that far!

I tried on mobile and even found the invisible virtual buttons! - but as you mention, mobile optimising is yet to come so will try again when ready

Hey guys, so new day, new update. End of a hard week, so today's update is a bit smaller than the rest as I am calling it a day a bit earlier tonight.

I have made some adjustments to the gravity, it is a bit strong for my liking now good to get some feedback on it regardless. The jump, double jump and boost from barrels has been adjusted accordingly. The distance between floor tiles has also been adjusted to accommodate this. 

I have now implemented the respawning of crumbling platforms, which helps the player to get through the level if they made a mistake the first time round. They fade back in, rather than appear abruptly which is quite nice. 

Finally, I added some music i found on Soundcloud, it may change it future but its ok for now. If anyone is interested, the link can be found here:

https://soundcloud.com/rmaren

I found the user on Newgrounds, which is a pretty handy site for game music. Lastly, I have added a basic facebook login, but have yet to hook it up to a high score table or anything. A job for the weekend i think :) 

Hi,

had another play and I was definitely able to progress further this time!  

Made it to a point (about 75 metres) where there was a vertical gap to a barrel too big to jump (maybe there was another one floating off-screen to the right or left that I could have reached but did not see)

Ok, so I had an insane weekend of dev and a new build containing a shit ton of features has been uploaded. I will be posting a more descriptive update in the the next day or so, but thought it would be a good idea to test the water with the new changes regardless. This will most likely be the biggest public update before showing interested parties for our web, android and iOS release, so enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi ! I enjoy it, it is nice and polished. 
Same remark, I had the 'Cannot read property 'x' of undefined' error once.

For PC users you may consider to enable user to start / restart the game using keyboard. It is really frustrating to go click and immediatly have to play with keayboard after.

Otherwise the game responded as I thought, and it was enjoyable.

Hi!

Really nice game.

Can anyone tell more info about the fps counter graph part.

Where can I find more info about that.

I am writing some game with phaser and have some issues with mobile platform I assume because fps rate.

I am trying to fix it or make games playable and this fps counter would be a nice help for that.

Thanx! 

Hi!

Really nice game.

Can anyone tell more info about the fps counter graph part.

Where can I find more info about that.

I am writing some game with phaser and have some issues with mobile platform I assume because fps rate.

I am trying to fix it or make games playable and this fps counter would be a nice help for that.

Thanx! 

If you want you can use the phaser-debug plugin which gives even more details: https://github.com/englercj/phaser-debug

Your game is nice and can be addicting!

At oomfr, we are developing an ecosystem where users can play html5 games and obtain deals and offers from their favorite stores. Our beta website will launch next month. You can be part of our beta phase. Contact us at [email protected] for more information.

Oomfr is a business located in Laguna Hills, CA, United States. Oomfr aims to deliver coupons and discounts to customers in a safe and fun, gaming environment. Contact Us at [email protected]