WebGL broken in Chromium 43 Ubuntu 14.04

jerome

Hi,

After many many tests and internal flag settings on two different computers, I confirm today WebGL is broken in the last Chromium 43 for Ubuntu 14.04.

The weird thing is that Chrome (not Chromium, so the same soft but not open source version) 43 still works for WebGL.

I guess we need to wait someone in the Chromium team fixes this . :(

I hope not.

Until now, on Linux platforms Chrome/Chromium remains the fastest browser in terms of JS execution... far ahead from FF.

I don't understand what they did because WebGL is broken for Chromium but not for Chrome this time ...

After have spent time on chromium bug feedback forums, the problem seems to be more related to the version packaged by Ubuntu than a genuine chromium problem.

Just waiting for them to release the fix and using Chrome instead as main BJS dev browser meanwhile

I have stuck with FireFox, so not seeing this.  Am starting to think about Win 10, due out next month though.  Have a win 7 license.  Went to Ubuntu after system became unstable.  Did not want to have reload win 7 & then do a million updates.  Hoping the upgrade to win 10 will work on a system right off the DVD with 0 upgrades.

Trying to work through how to do this.  Easiest way is to add new hardware, maybe SSD drive.  Might still want have a Ubuntu system.  MS does not really work well with a boot partition any more, as I recall.  Anyone know the correct order to make this work?

Well... it's just hell since new Windows versions, grub2 and uefi boot :-(

The best to done is to have a windows installed first, then to try to install ubuntu and ... to pray

Never the inverse order. Won't work definitly.

And the right order is just unpredictable... according to the device, the disk type, the boot type, the bios, the windows version, the distro version, etc. Each machine reacts its own way.

I personally keep ubuntu LTS up to date on my desktops, laptops and servers (although there are winserver and other distro too)

I agree that MS & Apple are hostile to single drive / multiple partitions.  What about when there are multiple drives though?  Have Ubuntu LTS now.  Get new drive & put windows on it, going from 7 to 10 upgrade. Point the bios to boot the Ubuntu drive & add a Grub record to boot the other drive.

As a precaution, can even pull the plug on the Ubuntu drive while installing,  it will not even know its there during install.  Think that is neccessary?

I don't think Windows will do anything on your ubuntu drive (but who knows). The installation wizard will probably stop and ask if there's a choice to be done about the drive to install windows onto.

There is an other big sad news about Chrome and WebGL I noticed: in the actual android tablets on the market, Chrome android is installed by default and WebGL has been totally deactivated on it (and I found no option to reactivate it)... I don't understand why this complete regression in WebGL support on mobile...

From Chromium.org bug list : 

Updates:

Comment #19 on issue 499363 by [email protected]: WebGL Not Working
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=499363

We have no control over which Chromium revision Ubuntu decides to pull into their distribution. It's entirely possible they pulled a broken revision. Sorry, but this is an issue you'll have to take up with Canonical.

cleardot.gif

There is an other big sad news about Chrome and WebGL I noticed: in the actual android tablets on the market, Chrome android is installed by default and WebGL has been totally deactivated on it (and I found no option to reactivate it)... I don't understand why this complete regression in WebGL support on mobile...

This is typically based on Android version. Try updating to 4.3 or later, and from what I've seen, FF for android runs MUCH faster for webGL apps.

• 4 weeks later...

At last !

The Ubuntu guys just released a fixed version of Chromium in the distro package system.

They initially shipped a webgl broken version when releasing the v43

So it wasn't Chromium's fault but Ubuntu package maintainers one. If people compiled their own Chromium from source, it used to work.

Chrome just kept working meanwhile on Ubuntu.

I'm so happy to recover my Chromium as I switched to Chrome during the bug time.

MS guys ... won't you port Edge to Linux some day ?

• 3 months later...