StandardMaterial gloss maps and reflections

Aranda

ok, I've put a gray map as reflection texture.  It doesn't look glossy though http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#22WPRO#1

The reflection texture should be a texture of what you want to be reflected (instead of a gray colorfill which you are using now). Also a CubeTexture would be better for this purpose.

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#22WPRO#2

I think the wet look is somewhat down to having the right map to reflect - it's got to have high contrast highlights to reflect, in the real world you don't see glossy highlights with under cloudy/soft lighting. Whether it looks metallic or not comes down to how the reflection is combined, metallic reflection colours the map (environment map sample multiplied by material colour) as in NasimiAsl's example, you want what you had in your previous example where you have the reflection added to the material (white specular highlights).

Convergence's scene looks pretty good! (Maybe try changing it by set specularColor on subMaterial 1 to black so that only environment map is giving you the highlights, or use a much higher specularPower than the default could work too I guess)

Reflective and glossy is not the same.  You can't make something glossy simply by using specific maps.  I've just been reading up on gloss and its described as "reflection with a milky haze" and also as a blurred reflection.  Even with a non-coloured car in real life, you still need a gloss coat to give it a glossy effect

Glossiness a quality which is roughly a material's amount of specular reflection. It is approximated in lighting models like Phong / Blinn-Phong by a specular highlight at some reflection vector in lieu of the light, and in such models the amount of glossiness is controlled by the specular power of the highlight.

My comment about contrast and looking glossy is because you aren't using HDR as far as I know much less raytracing (as per your followup with images that probably didn't use envirnoment maps because they look like they use raytracing). You can't get a glossy look without appropriate lighting - which you are trying to use maps to approximate (EDIT: the thread is on using environment maps though so other more advanced, performance intensive, or non-real time techniques seem to me to be off-topic)

In the image you supply of the ball/cube and Blender monkey head the reflected "light" is a nice 4 squares window shape. You probably can't get that without an environment map (assuming you aren't doing real reflectance and HDR or some hack to approximate it) because your lights in Babylon have no geometry - they're invisible!

Lighting models like Blinn-Phong fake specular reflection quite well - however they give you a specular reflection that is always round (if you want the specular reflections for the actual lights in Converenge's scene to look more glossy then set the specularPower of the material to something much higher as I already said) but even then you guess get one small round specular highlight per light in your scene - so you might have a nice proxy for the sun in an outdoor scene but you don't get specular reflection that to a lesser extend reflects the scene as in your raytraced pictures.

And who said anything about "complicated maps" - yes your map needs to be more complicated (?) than the solid grey texture you used first - and as I said if you use a map with a low contrast and without bright white areas representing lighting then you wont really see glossy specular reflections.

I mentioned cloudy days before, but I presume you've seen studio setups for photographer's where they have diffuse lights where the big light aimed at the scene is covered by a fabric like screen? The reason they do that is to avoid specular highlights on people making their skin look oily. If your environment map you are using to approximate specular reflection is low contrast/grey then you aren't going to get nice bright sharp specular highlights from it - it's not to say that the material isn't glossy but we can only perceive glossiness by it's effects.

EDIT: Have a look at the cube maps in NasimiAsl's scene and you'll see a grey cloudy sky - this is why you don't see bright specular reflections on the top of the car in his scene - the car is quite glossy but you can't see it the effects of that gloss very well due to the low contrast of the images. Cars look less glossy on cloud days (the material still reflects light the same but our eye's/brains have less cues in the form of highlights to judge the reflectance), and environment maps reflect this (pun)...