[Phaser] Group Theory - an homage to the card game Set

CodeToWin

Some of you may recall the card game from the 90s called Set. It's a type of puzzle game where you match up cards based on their similarity with respect to a collection of properties. I loved this game, so I decided to create a mini version of it, called Group Theory. 

If I feel inspired, or there is some demand for it, I may go back and create more pixel art to fully implement the game. 

I find it quite enjoyable, and I hope you do too. The rules are simple, and it can provide quite a bit of entertainment :).

Attached is a screen shot, and the game can be found here: http://codetowin.io/?page_id=137

post-15416-0-04014900-1439251275.png

Pretty cool implementation of Set (which, by the way, I also liked). If you're looking to improve it, you might redesign the menu so that it looks a bit nicer, and you might add some more functionality in terms of how the game is played. Perhaps you could make the number of groups not reset after you play through all the cards. Alternatively, you could treat each reset as the end of a "round" and display the time it took you to complete it as your "score".

Those are just some suggestions -- the game is pretty good as it is!

thanks for the suggestions! I had plans to implement a timed mode, where you try to get as many sets as possible in a given time interval. I haven't gotten around to implementing it yet. Adding the rest of the shapes is also on the to do list :) It would require some more coding, however. The more shapes you add, the higher the chance of there not being a set in the game, meaning you have to deal more cards. It's certainly do able, I just got tired and decided to post the work in progress.

thanks for the input. 

New Features Added!

added two new shapes: squares and crosses

added a deal button for when there is no group in play. Pressing it deals three more cards. You can have a maximum of 18 cards in play at once. If you try to go past 18 cards it reshuffles

boot screen added due to tripling number of assets in the game

main menu added, with options for easy mode (1 shape), hard mode (all 3 shapes), and the instructinos

I'm noodling over adding a timed game play mode, for the hard core players out there. 

thanks to all those who have looked. Please take another gander, as the game is greatly improved!

I really like the game Set, so this is a cool game. Some things though:

- When you tap "easy difficulty" it crashes and gives an error in the javacript console, "Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'number' of undefined"

- When you select 3 cards you still need to press "deal group!". I think it's easier for the player if you just do the "deal group" checks at the moment the player selects a 3rd card.

- The first time loading is fairly long and this is because you have 81 separate .PNG files for all the individual cards. I recommend using a sprite sheet, so all shapes are in one .PNG file. This will make the loading time much faster. If you order the shapes systematically you can easily determine the frame number for any given card. So the code would go something like this:

this.load.spritesheet('allcards', 'allcards.png',  32, 32); // each tile is 32x32 pixels//..// make sure it's all zero based, so number=0, 1 or 2, shape filling and color also 0, 1 or 2 etc.var framenr = cardsInPlay[i].number + (3 * cardsInPlay[i].shape) + (9 * cardsInPlay[i].filling) + (27 * cardsInPlay[i].color);this.game.add.sprite(xpos, ypos, 'allcards', framenr);

thanks for the bug report, it's fixed now! 

I thought about having it check when 3 cards are selected, but decided against it because sometimes people may reconsider whether or not a given collection of cards is a group. I suppose there is no penalty for guessing wrong, so it would clean up the interface.

thanks!