Reading Character Data

Ech0_2G

I am starting to work on a game that is going to have a list of characters and stats for those characters (around 100-200 character each with at least 6 stats). When trying to think of how to create these characters in a way that they are easily readable I've hit a hiccup. Should I be trying to store these in a database and using ajax to pull the information out and use it? My other thought was to use an excel sheet to create a json file and read that. Is there a common practice for this type of work in Phaser?

I'd say it depends on the rest of your game. If you never, ever use a backend, then using a backend-side database might be overkill. You could store these into a Json file, which is the best format for Phaser. Like you said, finding an Excel-to-Json tool could be a nice thing for a more human-readable format.

If you do use a backend, then yes I would strongly recommend adding the characters to a DB. It will be easier to visualize and maintain. The other advantage of this technique is that you'll be able, later on, to load only the characters you want (and not the full set each time). Because if your game is a 1v1 PvP game, you don't need the stats of all 200 characters at each fight (for example). You'll save broadband.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I'm Katie from GameSparks.

GameSparks is a backend service for games.We provide social logins like facebook and twitter, leaderboards , database's and much more.

It sounds like our sevice meets your need.

If you are interested please email [email protected] and we will see what we can do for you or check out the webiste www.gamesparks.com/

cheers

Katie