Question in regards to multi platform release

techwiz

Just wanting to clarify what the stance is on releasing a Non-Exclusive HTML5 game and then releasing the same game (maybe with some more polish) onto the Google Play store, AppStore and say Windows 8 store? Is this bad form or is this something that everyone does already?

I've been wondering the same. To break it down even more, I'm curious about the stance on

- releasing paid ad-free versions of your game as a native app for ios/android/win8. 

- releasing free, ad-driven versions of the game as native apps

- publishing the HTML5 game for free, ad-driven, on places like kongregate

Very curious. Of course, they have no right to stop you if it's a non-exclusive game, but I can imagine unwillingness to purchase out of principles. At the end of the day though, unless *all* or a very significant amount of html5 purchasers decide this, the single lonely html5 purchaser that denies your game will just be losing out because for us it's likely that the combined income from all the three above is bigger than the single lost license. 

Anyway, I don't know what their stance is. But if I would have to make an educated guess: most don't find out. The ones that do have no legal basis to stop you. Because they are non-exclusive licenses, they already expect your game to be on half a dozen competitor's sites, so I doubt they will stop purchasing in future. They might lower their price offer though, knowing you're also making the game available on large platforms for free. That's my guess.

I think what makes a huge difference is the type of clients *they* have. Some like BoosterMedia sell a lot of their products they buy from us through internal game environments which are ran browser-based, but not in an open browser as we know them. As such, there is no real danger of the 100 websites and app stores that might host your game, too, so I'd imagine they'd care much less.

A good strategy is to focus on obtaining an exclusive license if you think the quality and price is up to par. If not, focus on non-exclusive licenses for a 1-2 month sale period. Then after that period, if you wish, re-release the games native paid or free-addriven. I think that'd be pretty fair. After that you can always contact the odd client here and there.

What you have to do is think of each non-exclusive license as a "platform", so they've bought a license for their web site, i.e. one platform, but that in no way impacts your ability to sell it into other platforms.

Of course it's possible they MAY turn around and say "I'm not buying it, it's free in Play store", but I'd be amazed if any of them cared, all they really care about is quality content for their site - and if you're offering that it doesn't matter where-else it's available.

Thanks @Developoid and @rich. That makes it a lot clearer in my mind. Good point about the HTML5 side of things being a platform. Has been playing on my mind as to the morality of doing it but I see how the different platforms are independent with their audiences. HTML5 publishers are looking for those who want to play free web based games so that audience will not be affected by the release of a standalone version for $0.99 on the AppStore. Thanks again everyone.