How to decrease value on click

WiLD11

So I have been working on this tycoon game for a few days now,

(you can try what I have so far here)

http://www.newgrounds.com/projects/games/935963/preview

As a next feature I was going to add a money system, where each tile would cost $15 to place down

Here is the code I'm using to place a tile down

if (game.input.mousePointer.isDown)	{if(!outarange){					if (sandbox.getTile(layer.getTileX(marker.x), layer.getTileY(marker.y)) != currentTile)					{						mtween.x = this.input.activePointer.worldX;						mtween.y = this.input.activePointer.worldY-50;						mtween.visible = true;              money -=15;							sandbox.putTile(currentTile, layer.getTileX(marker.x), layer.getTileY(marker.y));					}			}}

If you tried the demo, you might have realised that the money value goes down every frame while you're holding down the click button. How would I do it so it only gets decreased by 15 everytime a new tile is placed.

Thanks for the interest ^_^:D

Your check here:

if (sandbox.getTile(layer.getTileX(marker.x), layer.getTileY(marker.y)) != currentTile)

So if this works, it should prevent the money subtraction from taking place. Unless I'm reading it wrong? Is currentTile the currently selected tile from the bottom bar? 

Your check here:

if (sandbox.getTile(layer.getTileX(marker.x), layer.getTileY(marker.y)) != currentTile)

So if this works, it should prevent the money subtraction from taking place. Unless I'm reading it wrong? Is currentTile the currently selected tile from the bottom bar?

Sorry, should have stated the currentTile variable,

currentTile = sandbox.getTile(0,0); 

sandbox is the map itself

sandbox = this.add.tilemap('sandbox', 32, 32);

The thing is that it gets taken away each frame while the click button is down. If only there was a way it could happen every time a tile is placed

Well the logic would be to check if that tile is already there, if it is do nothing, otherwise do 'something' which includes taking away from the money.

If sandbox is keeping a record of what types of tiles are placed where, when a click happens in any particular grid square, check if that tile already exists there. If it does, yeah, do nothing.

This logic can also be used when removing a tile, if they try to remove something that is blank, do nothing - otherwise it might incur a cost and you update that new tile.

Sorry for lack of code, I haven't played around with tilemaps as yet but I'm sure that you can save a property in there with a reference to the type of tile that exists at those co-ordinates...

Well the logic would be to check if that tile is already there, if it is do nothing, otherwise do 'something' which includes taking away from the money.

If sandbox is keeping a record of what types of tiles are placed where, when a click happens in any particular grid square, check if that tile already exists there. If it does, yeah, do nothing.

This logic can also be used when removing a tile, if they try to remove something that is blank, do nothing - otherwise it might incur a cost and you update that new tile.

Sorry for lack of code, I haven't played around with tilemaps as yet but I'm sure that you can save a property in there with a reference to the type of tile that exists at those co-ordinates...

Isn't that what the code does tough? It checks if the certain tile is not the same, and then if it isn't it places the tile.

That's what I initially thought but double check if the 'if' statement is correct, i.e, you're checking apples vs apples.

If it is correct, there is no way that code should be executed. console.log:

sandbox.getTile(layer.getTileX(marker.x), layer.getTileY(marker.y)) 

and this:

currentTile

to make sure you are comparing apples with apples

Sorry, it's difficult without being able to run the code and explore it.

I'm assuming the below is where you're comparing the tile from the currently selected tile co-ordinates against the tile that is currently 'on the paintbrush':

You can't compare objects with the '!=' or '==' in javascript. You can only compare value of an object this way (some examples below). Could you show me what the output is for 'sandbox.getTile(layer.getTileX(marker.x), layer.getTileY(marker.y))' and 'currentTile'. I'm saying that I think 'sandbox.getTile(layer.getTileX(marker.x), layer.getTileY(marker.y))' returns an object or currentTile does - so the comparison won't work as intended.

Check this example out for trying to compare objects: https://jsfiddle.net/uywjmpuf/ <- objects are obv the same but evaluates false

Now this one for properties of an object: https://jsfiddle.net/6xzs8guh/ <- obj.value is the same, that's ok

I think this is where the problem is.

When one is null, it should work, but then the next time, when they both return objects won't work.

Try something like this - again it's hard to know without running the code but can you see the checks here?

if (game.input.mousePointer.isDown){	if(!outarange){		// Tile at grid position		var tileAtMarker = sandbox.getTile(layer.getTileX(marker.x), layer.getTileY(marker.y));				if (tileAtMarker != null){						if(tileAtMarker.someProperty != currentTile.someProperty) { //Replace someProperty with something they both would have in common				//We've established they are different, so add a tile				addTile();			}		} else { //Tile at marker is null so add a tile			addTile();		}}function addTile() {	mtween.x = this.input.activePointer.worldX;	mtween.y = this.input.activePointer.worldY-50;	mtween.visible = true;	money -=15;	sandbox.putTile(currentTile, layer.getTileX(marker.x), layer.getTileY(marker.y));}

When one is null, it should work, but then the next time, when they both return objects won't work.

Try something like this - again it's hard to know without running the code but can you see the checks here?

if (game.input.mousePointer.isDown){	if(!outarange){		// Tile at grid position		var tileAtMarker = sandbox.getTile(layer.getTileX(marker.x), layer.getTileY(marker.y));				if (tileAtMarker != null){						if(tileAtMarker.someProperty != currentTile.someProperty) { //Replace someProperty with something they both would have in common				//We've established they are different, so add a tile				addTile();			}		} else { //Tile at marker is null so add a tile			addTile();		}}function addTile() {	mtween.x = this.input.activePointer.worldX;	mtween.y = this.input.activePointer.worldY-50;	mtween.visible = true;	money -=15;	sandbox.putTile(currentTile, layer.getTileX(marker.x), layer.getTileY(marker.y));}
That kind of worked, the tiles now cost money to place, and it goes -15 per click, however when i try erase (just replaces the tile) it says currentTile is null

<3

You can't compare objects with the '!=' or '==' in javascript.

Check this example out for trying to compare objects: https://jsfiddle.net/uywjmpuf/ <- objects are obv the same but evaluates false

Those objects are not the same, their properties are.

Javascript does the comparison the way many other languages do, evaluating the object comparison as true when both sides represent the same instance of an object. This means you can store a sprite in a variable as the selected sprite and then later compare that to a selected sprite - it will return true not when the properties are the same but only when it is actually that sprite.

Here is a trivial example (modified from yours) showing this: https://jsfiddle.net/eokx65ou/

Good point chg!

WiLD11 you can just check for a null currentTile:

if(game.input.mousePointer.isDown) {		if(!outarange){		// Tile at grid position		var tileAtMarker = sandbox.getTile(layer.getTileX(marker.x), layer.getTileY(marker.y));				if(tileAtMarker != null) {			if(currentTile != null) {				if(tileAtMarker.someProperty != currentTile.someProperty) { //Replace someProperty with something they both would have in commone					//We've established they are different, so add a tile					addTile(15); // <-- you could pass a cost here				}			} else { //Current tile is null but marker isn't				addTile(5); // <-- you could pass a diff cost here			}		} else { //Tile at marker is null so add a tile only if currentTile is not null			if(currentTile != null) {				addTile(15);			}		}}function addTile(cost) {	mtween.x = this.input.activePointer.worldX;	mtween.y = this.input.activePointer.worldY-50;	mtween.visible = true;	money -=cost;	sandbox.putTile(currentTile, layer.getTileX(marker.x), layer.getTileY(marker.y));}