Mobile game: Cocoonjs, Cordova, or PhoneGap?

toto88x

Hi,

I've heard about Cocoonjs, Cordova and PhoneGap to make a Phaser game as a native mobile app. And I have some questions:

- Is it easy to port an existing Phaser game to a native app? Or does it requires a lot of tweaking/debugging/testing?

- What are the differences between Cocoonjs, Cordova and PhoneGap? Are there other good ones that I am missing?

- Which one do you recommend? Do you know any googd tutorial about it?

Thanks!

Hi, 

- Is it easy to port an existing Phaser game to a native app? Or does it requires a lot of tweaking/debugging/testing?

It's quite simple (for Cordova & PhoneGap): you prepare a new project, add your javascript files, customize main page and run. 

The main "problem" is to deal with multiple screen resolutions and orientations. 

- What are the differences between Cocoonjs, Cordova and PhoneGap? Are there other good ones that I am missing?

Cordova & PhoneGap are quite the same thing (Cordova is the open source version of PhoneGap. Cordova is maintened by Apache Fundation while PhoneGap is property of Adobe).
I don't know CocoonJS.

- Which one do you recommend? Do you know any googd tutorial about it?

Well, unless you need some Adobe specific functionalities, you can drop PhoneGap.

Then, CocoonJS need you to upload your project on their could to test/debug on your iphone/android and get final app bundle. For me, it's a deal breaker.

So you got my opinion: Apache Cordova!  ^_^

I was going to ask something similar actually, but since you've already posted, I'll join in here.  Although it may still be worth it to make a post with all the crossplatform options listed with (summary) pro's and cons.

From my brief investigations I've found that the following are also options (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Interested to know what others there are also.

You can use Crosswalk plugin in your Cordova project.

It speeds up game and also standardizes it across devices, but increases size a lot (20-25MB per architecture, so you have to have separate build for x86 and ARM on Android).

If you are using Visual Studio 2015, then working with Cordova is really easy - you can add and remove plugins directly from it. More, you can connect from your PC to your Mac and request Mac to make builds if you are building for iOS.

Hi, 

You can host your game directly to a WebView object but frameworks do this for you and more. So why go "low level"? 

Trigger.io is cloud-based, like CocoonJs, i'm not fan of such solutions.

Intel XDK (former AppMobi) have a big default (to say it nicely): your app can be remotely disabled by Intel and your app can't be open-source  (source: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6965372). 

Crosswalk looks nice with Cordova. 

All these points lead to... Cordova! :D (and may be CrossWalk) 

On 12/01/2016 at 5:48 AM, Gob0 said:

Intel XDK (former AppMobi) have a big default (to say it nicely): your app can be remotely disabled by Intel and your app can't be open-source  (source: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6965372). 

Interesting - they're pretty negative about the whole thing, but I wonder if the product has changed over the two years since that thread?

On 12/01/2016 at 5:48 AM, Gob0 said:

I don't see anything in that thread that says your app can't be open source (the thread just says the XDK itself isn't) and the idea that Intel can remotely disable apps seems to be complete speculation based only on the TOS by a single person, where the TOS does not mention this (which this person seems to acknowledge).

Are their any credible sources of these claims?

• 4 weeks later...

I've used Cordova. The main problems are with different screen sizes and integrating native features. Yes, there are plugins for almost every feature but you always need some workarounds and at some point you sacrifice some of features. 

The game was a puzzle, so no need so much performance but almost on all Android devices it had very low fps. So, you have to use Crosswalk plugin for android which comes with 20mb but today i don't think size is a big problem.