pixiparticles

fire7side

Does pixiparticles work with version 3?  I downloaded it, but nothing happens, but when I checked the paths, pixi wasn't included.  Just wondering before I start.  Is this what people are using or what?  The pixi examples just had a bunch of worms but how does that help for things like rain, explosions, etc?

Are you talking about the PixiParticles project?

That project does not specify a version, implying that it works with the latest and it has been updated recently. Try opening an issue with the maintainer if you're having problems with it.

If you are referring to the particle example, then yep, its v3, quickest way to check is to open the console (inspector), pixi logs its version number, right now the examples are using 3.0.6.

The worms example is simply an example of a particle container, which is a container that makes some optimisations regarding the type of objects it can contain. It does not simulate any sort of particle effects, those are left up to you and it can be great fun! The PixiParticles project links above adds the physics simulation for particles on top of pixi, which is the rendering engine, I believe there are probably other implementations but its usually more fun to roll your own.

I'm still looking at pixiparticles, but yeah, that's the one.  I think whoever did the example demo for Pixi could have included a couple algorithms for rain and explosions for those of us that aren't math heads.   I'd rather not include pixiparticles, but I'd like to get going on actually writing a game.

The maths isnt too difficult, its just changing a few properties over time, which you will be doing all the time elsewhere anyway (for games particularly). Having a large number of particles can get tricky, particularly with automatic garbage collected languages, the usual (and simplest) solution is object pooling, which, again, will help you out in loads of other places so is a good thing to learn.

I can understand wanting to bolt pieces together though and get working on the actual game stuff rather than engine stuff.

Off the shelf Pixi just manages rendering (actually, its scope has increased beyond that a little), so a particle engine you're going to have to hand-roll or find an external library to use.