WebGL on Nexus 7

IvanK

Hello,

I have made a video of playing several of my games on Nexus 7 II.  I distribute them on FunInTablet.com (through SpreadMyGame.com). Games use WebGL, while FunInTablet uses Fullscreen API, so you can see a super smooth fullscreen experience on that beautiful 1920 x 1200 px  display :)

I was testing it in Chrome Beta on Android. WebGL also works on Firefox, Opera Beta and few other Android browsers. I hope that WebGL will be in every browser on every device soon.

What do you think about it? Will browser games replace native games?

Edited by rich
Embedded Youtube video

Browsers replacing native games? It really depends on the type of game. For casual games, it pretty much has the potential to do so already if parties like Apple didn't disable WebGL to create a better competitive environment for their native appstore. 

I think what's more likely is that the difference between native and browser-based is going to fade. I mean, can you call a game native or browser based if it's an AAA game ran through a unity browser plugin? If you look at how Chrome OS is basically a cloud-based, browser-based operating system and software package, it's hard to call it either native or browser-based. Now of course chrome OS isn't too succesful, but it's a pioneering first version, in the same way Firefox OS is. And then there's cloud-based browsing, maxthon is an early version of that. At some point we may see computing being done solely by energy & cost efficient workstations and the content relayed to your device. In that case, in many ways you could call that a situation where you're using the browser to access natively run software. Heh.

The problem with browsers is that hardware developers like Apple that generate a large portion of its revenue from software sales have no interest in building an open, free marketplace. Their prefer control through their own appstore. Partly because of the 30% cut they take. Partly because they can create apple-exclusive content. Partly because they can curate and do quality control. Partly because they can integrate functionality specific to their platform.

So it's hard to say. But with the huge players that are behind HTML5, we're bound to see WebGL being supported more in the future. I don't think any party is big enough to be able to say no to mobile-WebGL forever and get away with it for more than two years. 

Nice portfolio. Any demand for it? Seeing as they'e mobile-oriented games in a market with few mobile-webGL devices...