Do games run on 60FPS

sandy234

One key advantage of running at higher frame rates like 60fps is that you get better accuracy in your physics simulations. The faster the run loop, the more times per second you check whether object A has collided with object B. For eg if object A is 200px from object B and is travelling however many px per second, then the faster the frame rate, the smaller each step of the 200px will be, and the smaller the eventual overlap when the collision is detected.

Yes HTML5 games can run at 60 FPS on mobile devices. I'm in the process of writing an article on the basic optimization techniques that can be used.

Games should definitely target 60 FPS. It's been proved by Facebook with an A/B test that bad frame rate was causing engagement to collapse. For that test they intentionally slowed down scrolling from 60 FPS to 30 FPS.

I remember that the best case was of course 60fps, then solid 30fps and then the worse case scenario was a variable frame rate. I don't quite remember the numbers but people massively stopped using the app. 

One key advantage of running at higher frame rates like 60fps is that you get better accuracy in your physics simulations. The faster the run loop, the more times per second you check whether object A has collided with object B. For eg if object A is 200px from object B and is travelling however many px per second, then the faster the frame rate, the smaller each step of the 200px will be, and the smaller the eventual overlap when the collision is detected.

You can of course run your simulation with smaller timestep :) You can have 30 fps game with 200 Hz physics.

Since human eye can see only ~35 fps - is there really need to go above 40 fps?

Every person is different but for example I see difference between lamp connected to 50Hz and ones using special hardware to go at higher rates. I can even see difference between 50 fps and 100 fps on my monitor in certain situations. Eyes do not have pooling frequency but higher frame rate is a good thing.

That said, with web games I wouldn't bother, unless it's webgl.

You can of course run your simulation with smaller timestep :) You can have 30 fps game with 200 Hz physics.

Absolutely right, that's actually the approach I use too, using a separate setInterval for the physics loop and running the display refresh from raf.

In terms of pure display update alone I would agree that there doesn't seem to be much to be achieved from having fps higher than about 30.

It's absolutely distinguishable between 30 and 60 FPS. It's always a big deal when a fast paced AAA title drops to 30 FPS. "Juicy" mobile games and infinite runners need high FPS for appeall, though for a lot of titles it probably isn't as important. People that play games often are used to 60 FPS and they can tell the difference.

Should be the other way around. Run your physics at 20 FPS and rendering at 60 FPS with interpolation.

I tried my runner platform game on 60 fps. It runs well on ios 50+ fps. But it struggles on android 30-40fps. Its playable on my S3 but theres occasional lag also game is slow which is making it easier on android.

On Default browser though its a slide show

My game has level size of 15000 x 320 out of which 568x320 is visible at a time.

How do you people go about increasing fps for games with such big rooms.

Occasional lag most likely means you're producing too much garbage. If the game runs slower with lower FPS, that means you've tied your game logic to the FPS, what you should do instead is update the game depending on the actual time passed between frames, or better yet, by a fixed amount of time, but only update if the time between frames is at least as big as the fixed time. The size of your level shouldn't matter as long as you implement proper space partitioning structures for physics and rendering.