New HTML5/JS Based Website-Please Critique!

JeZxLee

Same feedback as a few months ago, sorry. Only thing that stands out as perhaps being different is I don't recall a full page prompt for background audio (is that new?) As much as I don't like sites playing background audio for no reason, being prompted to ask if I want it (after waiting a minute for it to load, before I can even see the page) might just be an even more annoying alternative (are you just doing it to ensure you can play audio on browsers that ignore such when it is not done in response to user interaction?)

Hello,

not sure if there are any special intentions behind the website, so just one/two things from me. Nowadays everyone tries to make website that they are loaded as fast as possible so the user doesn't need to wait (there was even some kind of research testing if and how long people stay on your site comparing it to the time the page loads). Thus, just a question, why does your website has a loading time? That made me to move mouse cursor to the cross in the top right side of my browser to clsoe it before there were 10% loaded (and I have a fast computer power and internet connection, imagine people with slower connection ;-)).

The second thing is, why does your side looks like it's build for low resolution screens? Is that intended? I don't know if that's a problem only on my side if there was a bug and the site accidentally loaded in low res for cell phones but it really hurts my eyes.

One more thing actually, one does the top right corner button does? It seems to open something but I don't trust unknown sources so I won't open in (don't take it personally ;-)) I don't think the icon is a usual way how to tell people what it is so at least add a pop up text when mouse is over it to tell the use what he is getting for clicking on it.

Hi,

Thank you for your comments.

We are working on improving the load time for slower connections.

The design of the site was to emulate 16 Bit video capabilities, so yes was intended.

The icon on the top-right is to email our company - we added "EMAIL" text to the icon now.

JeZxLee

I understand that 16 bit emulation but why is it taking so long? If you are loading some background assets I think it would be preferable to load them in background (if some background music is the main slow factor then load it after you show your website), but show the website earlier. I also don't like that first thing you see is if yo uwant sound or not.

If I remember correctly games usually show first some screen or animations and load into menu after because they too need to keep you engaged, with websites it's even more important so I think you should add one simple page first. Something like press a button to continue with a simple background and than bring the loading screen that would make sense.

Right now it's like "hmm, something is loading with a black screen, hmm it's already five seconds in and still loading, hmm, why exactly did I come here (?), now I can pick if I want sound on or off, hmm I don't know what sounds these are so should I let them on or off? Why are they asking me when I have no idea what I'm turning on/off? I can turn my speakers down if I don't like it before I find the speaker icon in their menu when I get to the website (or do they think I'm that stupid?). Just let me see something to keep me entertained, already, please!"

Please don't take it in any offensive way, I usually show this when we discuss webdesign with clients and/or my designer, it makes things much simplier when they are said straight.

16 bit is nice but keep it modern. If the sound is necessary for your site's experience then bring that first page with press a button/key/mouse/whatever and then do the loading. Or compress it more or make it shorer as a sample file then load it then play it and while your user is on the site with that sample playing load the rest.

It could be that something is already cached somewhere I can't touch it but now it's loading definitely faster way more different that it was before :-). Can I ask what did you change?

Btw I would still add as a first page one which says "press any button to continue" with some nice 16 bit picture and only when user presses anything I would transit to loading screen. Feels more game like and even as a presentation in the 21st century.