Zenva tuts, worth it?

Mike018

Hi all, I'm new to canvas and I also have never built an app for Android, so I was looking for basic tuts to bring me from nothing to an app on the marketplace. I looked at the getting started and building your first app which were great, but those tuts seem to run dry when talking about how to build the app for android and having ads on it in the marketplace.

I came across this course at Zenva by Pablo where he creates 15 mobile games, builds it, and puts ads on it. Seems just what I was looking for except a few red flags. There's no rating or comment section except his hand picked comments from another site, the sale for X number of days just keeps resetting (likes to trick customers), and lastly, no dates or version numbers used. Yikes. I mean it looks good, so why not have the community able to rate and comment on it, unless it went badly and he took it down. 

https://academy.zenva.com/product/the-complete-mobile-game-development-course-platinum-edition/

Does anyone have any experience with this course, or can recommend me a path to take that doesn't have me bouncing around random tuts trying to figure out what to do after I create a game?

8 hours ago, VitaZheltyakov said:

Mobile gaming market has changed greatly. Mini games do not make money. This course is already useless.

If you want to earn, then do the midle-core games

That's probably true, but as a newbie, I have to start out simple and work my way up. I only mention learning ads not to make money, but just to understand the implementation for future use.

As someone who hadn't done any game development before and wanted to use Phaser, it was worth it for me. I learned something in almost every module. I love learning by structured examples and lessons -- so it was good for me. I haven't released anything, though I'm currently working on my own game. It's already playable, I just need to do a few more things with it.

On 4/15/2016 at 5:54 PM, Mike018 said:

That's probably true, but as a newbie, I have to start out simple and work my way up. I only mention learning ads not to make money, but just to understand the implementation for future use.

Starting off simple doesn't necessarily mean beginning with mobile development first :)

Hey Mike018,

You can check my zeef channel, where we have a complete course on game development with Phaser and many useful links.

https://phaser-game-engine.zeef.com/zariba.game.academy

Zenva tutorials look great and I am sure they are worth it, so I have put them inside the above link as well.

Concerning building for mobile, you can try this: http://cocoon.io/

In our company we are using Crosswalk + Cordova + plugins, but to start off, you can try building with cocoon.

• 1 year later...

I wouldn't recommend the Zenva course unless you're comfortable with Javascript.

He has his own Javascript primer, which is really awful. I tried to comment on that inside his own comment boards and he deleted my comment, so that gives you an idea of how open he is to public criticism.

The course modules are good once you're familiar with JS, and there are a lot of them to go through and learn concepts. The course is worth it on sale for $50, in my opinion.

The audio in the courses is diabolical to any audio folks, and really frustrated me (as primarily an audio person) to be constantly riding the volume knob on my computer. Maybe to people who don't care about sound they won't bother, but to me it it is the difference between being professional and being amateur. This is very amateur audio.