Water Cell Shading

tranlong021988

hi, I'm building my first game with BJS , til now this is what I get https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86585940/BabylonWave/index.html

Yesterday I figure out some solutions to overcome problems with collision, thank you everybody who helped me. 

Today, I 'm facing some new problems, may be not serious problems but I need your advise:

In my game, you can see a jet ski with sea (using Water Material), but for performance (my target platform is mobile with Intel Crosswalk runtime), I want to optimize as best as I can, these are my approach:

- using low poly model.

- not use shadow/light/specular, just use simple diffuse texture map. 

- try using LOD, but it seem not affect to much, may be caused by low poly model already. 

- try something about camera culling but not yet find out any document with BJS. (I want the big island appear only with camera nearby).   

- And everything seem push my game art look like "toon", it's good, but I can not make Water Material to be "toon". I have view sample about Cell Shading but don't know how to apply it to current Water Material.   

So anybody can give me some advise ?
Sorry for my poor English.

Hi T.  I think you have presented a good puzzle.  Cel Shading is cool... I like it.  I am a big fan of Archer TV show, and they do "cartoonize"... but they call it "Archerize".  It is a blending of 3D and cel, as you describe.  Sorry for low responses.  Possibly, @NasimiAsl can help us.  He is a pro shader-master.

Btw, though sensitive, I LOVE what up and down cursor do in your wave-runner game.  You can move camera far above, or be ON the wave runner, or even go beneath it and get wet.  The splashes look quite good.  The whole game looks quite good.  I hope we get to jump-over little islands soon.  Looks like great fun!

Do you know what 3D "ragdoll" is?  You might need those... for surfers that get hit by wave runners.  ;)

:)  I agree.  But, we have @tranlong021988 issues to deal-with.  

I'm no shader guy, but... guys... is the mesh in Naz's demos... changing shape at all?  Or are we being fooled into thinking it is.... by its material?  Or, what?  :)  (I'm not too bright, eh?).  In order to get Cannon's meshImposter to activate so Tran can wave-jump with the jet ski, it has to be a real moving mesh. 

I think Naz mentioned this, somewhere... can't rem where.  Shaders don't really reshape mesh, do they?  They only fool us into thinking they do, right?  errr?  (I feel so noob right now, but I am, when it comes to shaders.)

i work on a picking system we can pick  any vertex shader changing it means may be we can make physics engine for shader vertex states

i do it in http://melyon.ir  go in the sea and you see you float on sea and all collision use with this new picking system

i try to optimize that maybe we can move all we need in gpu side .

On 4/30/2016 at 9:34 PM, Wingnut said:

Hi T.  I think you have presented a good puzzle.  Cel Shading is cool... I like it.  I am a big fan of Archer TV show, and they do "cartoonize"... but they call it "Archerize".  It is a blending of 3D and cel, as you describe.  Sorry for low responses.  Possibly, @NasimiAsl can help us.  He is a pro shader-master.

Btw, though sensitive, I LOVE what up and down cursor do in your wave-runner game.  You can move camera far above, or be ON the wave runner, or even go beneath it and get wet.  The splashes look quite good.  The whole game looks quite good.  I hope we get to jump-over little islands soon.  Looks like great fun!

Do you know what 3D "ragdoll" is?  You might need those... for surfers that get hit by wave runners.  ;)

I love your idea about ragdoll and island jumping over, but unfortunately this game logic is just simple since my target is mobile device (Intel Crosswalk wrapper). Many complex stuff can make it low FPS so til now, I just need jet ski move ahead and get over small islands to destination(big island), and, on mobile, it will be support Google Cardboard with VR render (thank to VRDeviceOrientationFreeCamera).    

On 4/30/2016 at 11:43 PM, NasimiAsl said:

i think  water  material on BJS is good if you wanna more optimization you most remove some effects

and this need a PG or any test Page :) for start

Til now, I just remove almost reflection (but Skybox) , using some photoshop trick to make Skybox and water bump map look "cartoon" and can not do anything more. I also think about animation texture (with floating foam) instead using Water Material.  

About Shader programming.  I don't know how compatible it make to mobile target. Is it using GPU for rendering ?