Interphase Book a good resource for beginners

Dud

HI all,

My son, who is now 14, has done a little bit of coding in Python and Javascript in the past but now wants to learn more.  As is typical with kids that age he wants to make games.  I had thought of GameMaker but I would prefer him to use a language that is more commonplace - and you can't get much more ubiqitous than JavaScript.  With that I mind I was wondering whether people thought the Interphase ebook would be a good starting resource for him to work through? Has anyone else used this ebook with their kids? How well did they understand it?

Yes, I think Interphase would be a great start. That, along with the examples and documentation on phaser.io should be what you're looking for.

Speaking as someone who learned how to code by copying BASIC, line-by-line, from the back of computer magazines to make games. That's the experience Interphase tries to re-create.

Yeah, I'd definitely recommend it. The best thing about Interphase is that it's mostly practical examples. Almost everything in the book is about making games, so there aren't really any theory chapters that may otherwise bore the average 14 year old.