About audio loading

BrunoHautenfaust

Phaser allows us to pass an array of URIs for audio.

Supposedly I pass an OGG and a WAV in a preload state, does that mean both of the files will be loaded regardless of what formats the browser supports? I'm wondering should I pass both or just the WAV because all the browser support it.

The browser will load only the files that are supported by it. I suggest you use OGG/MP3  since WAV files are pretty big. You should pass both file formats in the URIs array.

Thanks!

I just tested it and in the Resources tab(Dev Tools) only the OGG was loaded even though the WAV was also passed in the array. Didn't thought about checking that earlier. However, I won't risk with using MP3. Not after reading the link provided by AshleyScirra

On 6/11/2014 at 0:58 AM, AshleyScirra said:

Technically, using MP3 makes you liable for a $2500 fee if your game is played over 5000 times. Flash is exempt from this rule but HTML5 is not. MPEG-4 AAC on the other hand plays everywhere MP3 does, is better quality, and does not have a use fee (only the encoders are charged for). A couple of years ago we confirmed all of this with an MP3 licensing representative while developing Construct 2. (It only uses AAC and does not in fact even support playing MP3s.)

You should not touch MP3 with a barge pole.