Phaser on Linux & Rasberry Pi

Yalgie

Hey,

I'm currently rebuilding some old arcade games in phaser and I'm planning to build a cool old arcade cabinet that is essentially a custom PC with the monitor built in and some usb supported arcade controllers.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this kind of question but I was wondering if phaser or JS web based games in general would run well on a Linux OS or a rasberry pi? I'm mainly asking because I'd like to make a few of them so I don't really want to spend heaps of money on custom PC parts and something like a rasberry Pi is pretty cheap so I could replicate it rather cheaply.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks!

Dan.

I've never used a Raspberry Pi (never even touched one!),but I think the only thing you'd need to confirm is if you're capable of running a decent modern browser at any serious speed on one. Get over that hurdle and I suspect Phaser would work, although I also suspect rendering performance wouldn't be too hot at all.

• 1 year later...

It is more comparable to mobile performance, and not the newest mobile devices, I have one and tested it. You can download a modern browser, that isn't an issue.

It has a great OS right out of the box when you connect wifi that offers tons of video game emulation, thought that was awesome.

Linux wont cause you any dramas, I use a Linux machine as my development machine.

Raspberry Pi you mileage may vary, I wouldn't recommend it for a smooth experience. Access to the GPU is limited and while I have not tried any Phaser related stuff on the Pi. I have done a lot of Javascript related work ( AngularJS apps etc ) and the performance is not great when there is a lot going on ( Raspberry Pi 3, Chromium Browser).

• 4 months later...

I'm on a Pi 3 now, building a custom game in Phaser, using cheap controller hardware (here in a Dutch online store). But the performance is not satisfying. I'm even setting up Ubuntu on an old macmini now, because it's not good enough for Phaser. It's Chromium that is taking some memory and then the lack of GL performance (which is even disabled by default because it's experimental in Raspbian)