Large Spritesheet is Loading in Samsung Smart TV

isfuturebright

I have a very large spritesheet (7840x4900) for a character in my game. When loading the game on chrome I don't have any problem, but on the TV it just loads the default Square. Any ideas how to approach this?

EDIT: I got the name of the topic wrong "Large Spritesheet isn't loading on Samsung Smart TV" Guess 10hours straight at work does make you tired >.<

What is this common misconception that your game can load extremely large image files?

Yes, you can on the desktop, most likely get away with it.

But on mobile devices, of which your TV technically is, you will be lucky to be able load anything 4096x4096.  If I were you I would break my spritesheet into multiples, keeping a more reasonable size of say 1024x1024.  Mobile graphics chipsets have much less memory to work with than desktop.

I don't know for a fact that this is your problem, but it is what I would try first if I was you.

Good Luck!

Shawn Bless

Rocket Star

Thanks for the quick reply guys. Yeah I imagined it would be too big. It's because the game runs on a 1280x720 display so our character was like really big and had lots of animations so ended up with a very big spritesheet.

The thing is that we have alreay a lot of animations and there probably will more to come... how would you go by handling this on code? I mean I currently have my player class extending Phaser's Sprite but If I were to have multiple sprites each with multiple animations I'm not really sure what's the best approach to handle it.

If at all possible I would recommend to try using a skeleton animation system like Spine, DragonBones or Spriter rather than spritesheet animation, especially if each individual frame is already really big. Not all content will suit skeleton animation, but it often will work very well, and will save you a huge amount of file size over the spritesheet approach.

If at all possible I would recommend to try using a skeleton animation system like Spine, DragonBones or Spriter rather than spritesheet animation, especially if each individual frame is already really big. Not all content will suit skeleton animation, but it often will work very well, and will save you a huge amount of file size over the spritesheet approach.

The thing is that the whole animation was done in 3D and exported for spritesheets. Spine is for 2D animation right? I don't think we could switch to that now.

Ah yeah that's a shame then, yes these bones tools are only for 2D animation. Funnily enough when I said 'not all content will suit skeleton animation' I was actually specifically thinking of animations involving items rotating in 3D. We had a similar issue at work recently where we were hoping to use skeleton animation but when the designs arrived they'd been animated in 3D and all the plans had to go out the window.

Actually that sounds like the perfect use for a skeletal animation system to me. There's no reason why you couldn't build a skeleton that wasn't simply a few different animation layers positioned on-top of each other, then use the bones to handle joining and swap out textures for variances.

I guess it boils down to what the content is that you are trying to animate. Some 3D objects can be fairly seamless which might make it hard to see where one bone should end and another should start without making the joins glaringly visible. Especially if they've been rendered with realistic lighting effects.

Agreed, I'm sure that for some animations that could be a perfectly valid approach. On the whole it generally works best if the animator knows in advance that their animation is going to be used with a bones system, so then they can gear the animation towards this kind of application.

I'm curios to know 7840x4900 is now broken on how many and what size sprite sheets ?

Well first we were making each frame too large (leaving too much space between them) and also we were making the whole animation (repeating frames) when I could just do that via code (from 0 to 5 and back). Then it came around 3000px~ so we divided in two parts and it ended up something around 1500x1800 each spritesheet.

I've come across this reference before, not sure exactly how reliable it is but the kind of sizes given should give you some idea of the extent to which 7840 x 4900 is too big ;)

http://www.williammalone.com/articles/html5-javascript-ios-maximum-image-size/

So far we tested with something close to 2000px to work. ;)

• 2 months later...