Quadtree LOD terrain

Dal

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/17/2016 at 1:03 PM, Dal said:

I think I'm going to move away from Babylon for now... I can't get this working well enough to make my game, so I think I'll try an engine that has a working terrain already.

I know it's been a bit since you posted, but I saw you're basing your terrain off of my original blog post for XNA.  That tutorial series was meant to demonstrate concepts and probably could do with some major refactoring for performance! :) One thing to note is that I did at one point get it working with XNA inside Silverlight 5 using 16-bit index and vertex buffers with "ok" performance, though it wouldn't have been good with a full game.

There are probably some additional enhancements that could be made, like linking trees, parsing the heightmap itself as a LOD so the whole map isn't being loaded if not necessary and some additional data caching.  I'd be happy to take a look at what you've got and maybe help with performance tuning if you'd like.

Also, apologies for the broken links.  I upgraded my blog platform and for some reason it broke links to some previous posts.  I'll have to see if I can fix those or at least get an index back up with the pages.

~Dustin

On 12/12/2016 at 4:30 PM, DustinHorne said:

I know it's been a bit since you posted, but I saw you're basing your terrain off of my original blog post for XNA.  That tutorial series was meant to demonstrate concepts and probably could do with some major refactoring for performance! :) One thing to note is that I did at one point get it working with XNA inside Silverlight 5 using 16-bit index and vertex buffers with "ok" performance, though it wouldn't have been good with a full game.

There are probably some additional enhancements that could be made, like linking trees, parsing the heightmap itself as a LOD so the whole map isn't being loaded if not necessary and some additional data caching.  I'd be happy to take a look at what you've got and maybe help with performance tuning if you'd like.

Also, apologies for the broken links.  I upgraded my blog platform and for some reason it broke links to some previous posts.  I'll have to see if I can fix those or at least get an index back up with the pages.

~Dustin

Cool. Thanks for the articles :)
I've kinda given up on this myself, but I am happy to share the typescript code I have if you feel like trying to make it awesome, Babylon is still lacking a decent terrain engine.