Couch gaming future?

bdekk

Do you guys think that couch gaming has a future? If not, could you explain why. I am creating an API to support couch gaming and I am working on a website specific for couch games. My definition of couch gaming is that clients use their mobile phone to control the game that is being portrayed on a monitor or a TV screen. Would you guys be interested in such a platform?

Thank you for pointing this out! I will take a look at it. Strange that this one did not pop up when I tried to search for these kind of platforms.

update: I looked at their API. This is exactly what I am working on. That is a shame :(. Need to get back to the drawing board.

As a follow-up question. Do you guys think that there would be room for another of these platforms?

I think couch gaming is the best fun to be had, maybe not the best games from a technical or longevity perspective, but good times for sure.

However, I also think that touch screen controllers are probably the worst interface for such games.  If we consider where our eyes are, and the lack of tactile response it means we either play blind or the game choices occur on the handheld device (requiring us to look at the small screen) - it relegates the big screen to a mediator or score board.  Yes there are some genres which can escape this, but now we're into niche genres or new genres that will struggle with adoption.  i.e. it'll need a killer app that reveals the potential of the paradigm.  Even Wii U struggled with that, and it had a lot less issues to overcome.

AirConsole's platform read very well from a tech perspective.  However when I took my iPad there (after connecting my desktop) it assumed it was the big screen and asked me to connect my smartphone!?!  Not sure why the system can't just ask ... e.g. is this device the hub or the controller?

Thank you for the given answers. @b10b You are right. I guess that the concept has some potential but it needs to be easy accessible and aimed at certain genres / type of games that suit well to the idea of "friends gaming together". I am thinking of quizzes / card / board games as a replacement of physical board games. I guess this will also be my take for the project as I cannot compete alone (as long as I am the only one contributing) with platforms like airconsole which have funding and try to target all kind of html5 games. 

• 2 weeks later...