Phaser project generators

GaryS

Hi all,

I'm starting a new Phaser project and I thought I'd take a look at the options for project generators out there.
I'm overwhelmed by the amount of options and while I'm sure most of it is down to personal preference, I'd love to hear some opinions on the best way to go.

I've worked on a couple of projects in the past that have used Codevinsky's generator, which was great and got me into using prefabs and the like, but that hasn't been updated in over 2 years.
These days everyone's talking about ES6. I ran into some problems in the past with inheritance and thought being able to use 'super' would be a good thing, so I thought I'd give that a try, but there loads of different ES6 generators and they all have different features and methodologies.

I was thinking of maintaining a list of all the generators I can find with some information about the technology and features, but I wondered before I put too much time into that, if one already exists somewhere?

Does anyone have any opinions as to the best way to go, or is it really just a case of trying them all out and going with whatever feels right?

I don't think I've seen a good list anywhere, so it would likely be a welcome addition, problem is that whilst kickstarts and generators generally sound like a good idea they usually get far too involved in setting a platform to start coding and invariably others will want to customise that starting platform and then things get awkward. It's still a good idea to list it though, it makes for a good repository for different approaches to project structure and build chains etc etc.

The only tricky bit about ES6 is the buildchain required to make sure you support all browsers whilst still writing your source in ES6/7, of course, you could ignore older browsers but there are still bits of the spec unimplemented. Build chains are a topic of themselves, and Phaser does not require it (infact, its hard to get Phaser into any proper build chain) so its an additional step that not everyone wants, and even then people get picky about their choices, which means that, in Phaser's case, boilerplates and generators usually end up as a build chain exercise and not a 'framework' choice.