Extending Phaser Prototype Objects

Kam100

Hello, I just joined the forum. I was looking for a "Help" section to post my question, but I didn't seem to find one, so I'm posting this here. If this is not the right place, I apologize in advance. I'll try to keep this as succinct as possible. This is pretty basic but I have no idea why is it not working.

Here is relevant part of the working code, done in the way the website teaches us to do:

function create() {
  starfield = game.add.tileSprite(0, 0, 800, 600, 'stars');

ship = game.add.sprite(300, 400, 'ship');
  ship.health = 100;
  ship.scale.set(2);
  ship.smoothed = false;
  ship.animations.add('fly', [0,1,2,3,4,5], 10, true);
  ship.play('fly');
  ship.anchor.set(0.5);

game.physics.arcade.enable(ship);

shipTrail = game.add.emitter(ship.x, ship.y + 10, 1000);
  shipTrail.width = 40;
  shipTrail.makeParticles('emitter');
  shipTrail.setXSpeed(-30, 30);
  shipTrail.setYSpeed(400, 180);
  shipTrail.setRotation(50,-50);
  shipTrail.setAlpha(1, 0, 500);
  shipTrail.setScale(0.05, 0.4, 0.05, 0.4, 100, Phaser.Easing.Quintic.Out);
  shipTrail.start(false, 500, 5);
}

The variable starfield is the background, the ship is the player, and the shiptrail is just an effect that follows the ship around. Their movement is updated in the Update function, but that's irrelevant, so not shown. The code above works perfectly as it is intended, since everything is displayed normally. What I'm trying to accomplish is pretty simple: Instead of using all of the code used above, I'd simply do:

function create() {
  starfield = new Background(game);
  ship = new Ship(game);
  shipTrail = new Emitter(game, ship);
}

on my main file, while having a secondary javascript file that'd take care of those three objects settings. So I came up with this:

function Ship (game) {
  Phaser.Sprite.call(this, game, 300, 400, 'ship');

this.health = 100;
  this.scale.set(2);
  this.smoothed = false;
  this.animations.add('fly', [0,1,2,3,4,5], 10, true);
  this.play('fly');
  this.anchor.set(0.5);

game.physics.arcade.enable(this);
}

Ship.prototype = Object.create(Phaser.Sprite.prototype);
Ship.constructor = Ship;

//----------------------------------------------

function Background (game) {
  Phaser.TileSprite.call(this, game, 0, 0, 800, 600, 'stars');
}

Background.prototype = Object.create(Phaser.TileSprite.prototype);
Background.constructor = Background;

//----------------------------------------------

function Emitter (game, ship) {
  Phaser.Particles.Arcade.Emitter.call(this, game, ship.x, ship.y + 10, 1000)

this.width = 40;
  this.makeParticles('emitter');
  this.setXSpeed(-30, 30);
  this.setYSpeed(400, 180);
  this.setRotation(50,-50);
  this.setAlpha(1, 0, 500);
  this.setScale(0.05, 0.4, 0.05, 0.4, 100, Phaser.Easing.Quintic.Out);
  this.start(false, 500, 5);
}

Emitter.prototype = Object.create(Phaser.Particles.Arcade.Emitter.prototype);
Emitter.constructor = Emitter;

For some reason, only the emitter effect keeps displaying onscreen after doing this. The ship goes invisible and the background goes black. No errors in the console log. Any help?

There's nothing wrong, that I can see, with how you're extending the Sprites. The only thing I can't see in the above code is where you add them to the game.

They're created properly, but just don't appear to be added to the display list anywhere? Something like:

var ship = new Ship();

this.add.existing(ship);

6 hours ago, rich said:

There's nothing wrong, that I can see, with how you're extending the Sprites. The only thing I can't see in the above code is where you add them to the game.

They're created properly, but just don't appear to be added to the display list anywhere?

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know of this game.add.existing method. And it now works for me, thanks. I still have a doubt though: I didn't have to use game.add.existing(starfield), game.add.existing(ship), and  game.add.existing(shiptrail) on the first code box of my first post in order for the sprites to appear in-game. The moment I did game.add.tileSprite/sprite/emitter they were already automatically added into the screen. So why does game.add.existing needs to be used when creating sprites through extending Phaser's prototype objects? All I needed to do was add "game.add.existing(this);" on both my Ship and Background functions on the secondary javascript file, and everything worked as originally intended.

When you type "game.add.sprite", Phaser's internal GameObjectFactory knows the class of the thing you're trying to create: it's Phaser.Sprite. It makes one of those, sets some properties, adds it to the world, then hands it back to you.

When you create your own custom class, you can't really use the GameObjectFactory anymore. You have to add the things you create yourself because Phaser no longer knows what constructor to use.

Does that make sense?

44 minutes ago, drhayes said:

When you type "game.add.sprite", Phaser's internal GameObjectFactory knows the class of the thing you're trying to create: it's Phaser.Sprite. It makes one of those, sets some properties, adds it to the world, then hands it back to you.

When you create your own custom class, you can't really use the GameObjectFactory anymore. You have to add the things you create yourself because Phaser no longer knows what constructor to use.

Does that make sense?

Yes it does, thanks for the answer. I'm glad it was an easy fix.

game.add.existing() is really just game.world.add(). :)

You can even go nuts and extend GameObjectFactory:

GameObjectFactory.prototype.ship = function (x, y, key, frame, group){
    if (group === undefined) { group = this.world; }

return group.add(new Ship(this.game, x, y, key, frame));
};

// …

var ship = game.add.ship(300, 400, 'ship');