The "what if" question

max123

I'll start...

1. What if Microsoft took over (bought for £2,830,690) BJS? After all, @Deltakosh is/was Microsoft? I know, for years MS used to be an acronym for "backward", but look at them now - getting all friendly with unix and, lo and behold - Typescript. Typescript alone restored my faith in humanity (read javascript). I'm surprised to be honest they didn't put their considerable muscle behind any 3d endeavors (except Softimage, which was bought and swiftly killed off by the wankers @ Autodesk... Softimage was and still is a love at first sight for me).

Good idea :)

Let me try to answer this one. (by the way I still work for MS :))

1. Buy what? Babylon.js is all in the open. No one can buy it. I own it but as an individual. If someone gives me a lot of money I could potentially give him the ownership on the repo but so what? Anyone can fork it and create a local version :)

1`.Microsoft already started a lot in 3D: www.remix3d.com (using bjs btw !!), paint3D, Hololens, upcoming VR devices :)

I  wonder also why they (it could be any companies finally) don't invest in BJS because WebGL is a growing technology.

It could accelerate the development.

And they could take advantage of it by selling services (books, consulting), improve their brand name (helping open source initiative) or creating commercial 3d apps easily.

Linux is funded by IBM for example.

But maybe they have something else in mind.

And I like the fact that it's independant with a good phylosophy.

They are trying to be hands off I have a feeling...  Who wants to actually pay to support another product when its become a living entity on its own.  And webgl is not like proprietary or really even hard to do research on so why "buy" it and support it, just to deal with all the legalities when you can just have the community handle that.

On 2016-12-08 at 0:12 PM, max123 said:

What if Microsoft took over (bought for £2,830,690) BJS?

@max123 : well Max, Microsoft and 3D don't exactly have a good track record. Once upon a time they obtained some licensed code from Worldview to produce a VRML plugin . Never did compete with Blaxxun Contact, Cortona or Cosmo Player. Then about 2008-9 they obtained Truespace ( a 3d modelling program). That program had cost about $600 to purchase - but Microsoft ended up giving it away (with no support) because for economic grounds they lost interest in 3D.

So, I'd rather BJS stayed in the hands of @Deltakosh et al.

cheers, gryff :)