[SOLVED] - Weird Normal Map Effect

MackeyK24

Yo @Sebavan I am trying to use a normal map on model that show up fine in unity (I don't know if there is a difference in how babylonjs renders normal maps vs unity) but when i create that material and stick on a mesh in babylon as really weird looking effect:

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 12.50.36 AM.png

I tried by hand coding a standard material like so as well, but same effect...

var material:BABYLON.StandardMaterial = new BABYLON.StandardMaterial("Tester", this.scene);
material.diffuseTexture = new BABYLON.Texture("scenes/vehicle_playerShip_orange_dff.png", this.scene);
material.bumpTexture = new BABYLON.Texture("scenes/vehicle_playerShip_orange_nrm.png", this.scene);
//material.invertNormalMapX = true;
//material.invertNormalMapY = false;
this.mesh.material = material;

Also tried the invert Y and X... same effect...

Does anybody know what this effect is when using a normal map

Here the scene files:

Shooter.babylon

vehicle_playerShip_orange_dff.png

vehicle_playerShip_orange_nrm.png

vehicle_playerShip_orange_dff_MetallicGlossMap.png

Ahhh.. I found issue... Unity Was export image intensity as greyscale alpha (They changed the TextureImport from version 5.4 to 5.5 and remove greayscaleToAlpha = false option).

So you HAVE to make sure your normal maps are explicitly set to "Normal Map" not just "Default Texture" in the texture importer settings... is showing fine now... Thanks for the help... again :)

Update 

I fixed the TextureImporter issue... You STILL have to make sure its a 'Normal Map' type for texture you intend to use as a normal map... But the rest of the texture import settings are in the new toolkit... Please re-download latest toolkit package (as of 12/19/2016).