Try my flappy bird game

Kraken

1 hour ago, Arcanorum said:

Its ok. Try using a timer to make the bubble effect ware off after a few seconds, and try using circle physics bodies for the fish, bubble and urchin.

I didn't even know about circle physics bodies. Thanks Arcanorum! I contemplated using a timer but I wanted to keep the bubble effect and make the player hit an urchin to shrink back. 

10 hours ago, johncintron said:

Looks good. I'd suggest you look into security/obfuscation though. For example, if I go into the console and do this:

FlappyBoard = null;

it will destroy the game.

Thanks JohnCitron, do you recommend I use something like JScrambler to encrypt the game?

20 hours ago, johncintron said:

Looks good. I'd suggest you look into security/obfuscation though. For example, if I go into the console and do this:

FlappyBoard = null;

it will destroy the game.

What does obfuscation have to do with security? If players want to mess with the game then they are within their right to do so once you send their client the files. Without a way to truly compile our games there isn't much that can be done to stop others from working out how our code works. Minification is what you should be concerned with.

18 hours ago, Arcanorum said:

What does obfuscation have to do with security? If players want to mess with the game then they are within their right to do so once you send their client the files. Without a way to truly compile our games there isn't much that can be done to stop others from working out how our code works. Minification is what you should be concerned with.

Hey Arcanorum, I guess once the files are on the web they are not really safe anymore. Do you recommend JSCompress?

20 hours ago, Arcanorum said:

Fair point. I didn't make it clear that I was referring to the fact that you can control the game through the web console. Surely the developer didn't intend for someone to be able to do this. I'm personally working on a client-server game and it would be crazy if a client could control their character through the console.

1 hour ago, Kraken said:

Hey Arcanorum, I guess once the files are on the web they are not really safe anymore. Do you recommend JSCompress?

Use an IIFE to protect your objects.

On Thursday, March 09, 2017 at 3:17 PM, johncintron said:

Use an IIFE to protect your objects.

OK so should I put the code of the game inside the IIFE? I'm fairly new to JS and I'm not sure how this would protect the code on the client. 

• 2 weeks later...

Kraken,

Looks good and I hope you learned a bit from doing this. You should change the title in the HTML file at some point. As an exercise you could add a flap/swim animation that triggers on a tap to give some more visual indication of input.

It's very good, and i have few recommends:

- You should make animation for the fish.

- The game is quite hard at the first pipes, i can't get more than 4 :D

- You have to check if the fish is go to Top bound. I used this trick, make the fish over Top Bound and the game becomes endless :))

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/19/2017 at 0:03 PM, Adam West said:

It looks good as some has mentiones but i couldn't be able to score more than 3 :)

Thanks for trying it out! I guess it may a bit hard but  I used to play the original Flappy Bird for hours so I thought it was easy when i made this one. :lol: 

On 3/19/2017 at 2:55 PM, Any_Key said:

Kraken,

Looks good and I hope you learned a bit from doing this. You should change the title in the HTML file at some point. As an exercise you could add a flap/swim animation that triggers on a tap to give some more visual indication of input.

I did learn quite a bit from this one. I originally had a bird that was flapping its wings but I didn't have a sprite sheet for the fish but I am planning on putting in a sound and a sprite sheet for the player.

On 3/20/2017 at 0:21 AM, Windy said:

It's very good, and i have few recommends:

- You should make animation for the fish.

- The game is quite hard at the first pipes, i can't get more than 4 :D

- You have to check if the fish is go to Top bound. I used this trick, make the fish over Top Bound and the game becomes endless :))

Ah yes I should of put in a world bounds so you cant just skip all the pipes. That is a smart move on your part though.