Gaming Taxonomy Study and How To Classify Games

Greendude123

Hello,

I’m a student at the Illinois Institute of Technology and I’m looking for your help. We are conducting an online research study to develop a measure of game experience, and we are currently looking for input from game developers on game definitions. I was hoping you would be willing to take part in the study by responding to our survey.

The survey should take no more than 15 minutes of your time, and your answers to the survey are fully confidential. There is no compensation for participation. I would be more than happy to provide you further details or answer any questions on this post.

The link to the survey is given below. Your participation would be immensely appreciated. You would be making a great contribution to science about videogames; in fact, this research may contribute to more effective game design and development because there are few holistic measures of game experience and a general lack of agreement on the "proper" way to classify games (as the notions surrounding game genres and types change across time, space, and culture). Thank you!

Link: https://iitresearchrs.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5pZK3z7ZkG9AQsZ

How would you go about classifying a game you developed? 

Best,
Green

The first dozen questions are nothing to do with games, and cover areas from education to romantic relationships - which is very off-putting - then the bulk of the questionnaire turns to what games the participant plays.  Most taxonomy questions on this study appear rooted in the theory that game genres are exclusive to one another, whereas modern games (those that aren't based on franchises) are often born from cross-genre blends or experiences that defy comparative reference.

6 hours ago, Greendude123 said:

How would you go about classifying a game you developed? 

Perhaps classification (or grouping) is becoming an outdated concept - especially digitally where items can (and should) appear in multiple sets simultaneously.    Today we can look at living relationships between items for relevancy.  A practical example of which is to say that any new game is "in the style of concrete-example-of-similar-game(s)" or personally recommended based on "games liked by other players who also liked the games you like".

1 hour ago, b10b said:

The first dozen questions are nothing to do with games... which is very off-putting...

Unfortunately, that's a flaw with the survey design; the demographics should have come at the end. However, some of them are actually very useful and do relate to video games and the taxonomy. For example, there may be generational differences in interpreting the meaning of some gaming genres.

1 hour ago, b10b said:

Most taxonomy questions on this study appear rooted in the theory that game genres are exclusive to one another.

Of course, I realize classifications overlap, and games (even those based on franchises) resist clean distinction and classification. This is the problem we must compromise on; we have to have a broad coverage with enough distinction to communicate meaningful differences, but we cannot have a hundred different classes based on all their different combinations.

1 hour ago, b10b said:

Perhaps classification (or grouping) is becoming an outdated concept...

Nevertheless, it is still a useful concept. The very thing that makes classification cumbersome is what also makes it useful. Classes are rigid. They convey meaning across time and space. Insofar as our schemas change with time and experience, and vary from person to person and culture by culture, I think it is useful to blend the concept of living relationships and classes by providing examples alongside definitions to serve as anchors for a frame of reference to create and communicate shared meaning.

2 hours ago, Greendude123 said:

Nevertheless, it is still a useful concept. The very thing that makes classification cumbersome is what also makes it useful. Classes are rigid.

Adaptable, scalable, flexible are often the measures of a useful tool.  Game devs are a curious group of people in regards taxonomy - typically disciplined in how they identify things and the nomenclatures used - to the extent they have created powerful language features to shape their classifications and break away from single-purpose.

Game genres exist today primarily as a sales channel, keyword filter or emotional trigger - in these areas single-purpose often sells more seats.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who participated! We've stopped data collection, and gotten a lot of valuable feedback from you guys. 

Despite the end of data collection, I'd still welcome any questions you may have about the study, or any input you guys have on game taxonomy.

Best,
Green

3 hours ago, totor said:

Do you have ressources or links to game taxonomy? i am more specifically looking for a list of (all) games tagged by date, genre or mechanics.

Hey Totor,

I do have resources related to game taxonomy; I can point you toward research literature covering taxonomy, if that's what you're looking for. But it sounds like you want a list of all games classified. Your best bet is to check out Steam's list http://store.steampowered.com/tag/browse/. All PC games there have been dated and tagged according to their genre or mechanics (or artistic style, or theme, or some other characteristic). Bear in mind, classification of video games is very subjective, and many of the tags on Steam communicate very little meaning, or communicate meaning only to a select audience.

Hope it helps!

Best,

Green