dead sticks

Quinten

dead-sticks-html5-gamedev.png.9de51c1ec9f8c0ddf82836864d30581f.png

'dead sticks' is an abstract and minimalisitc puzzle game with physics based on verlet integration.

Last thursday i found out about the project #onegameamonth and i still wanted to submit a project by the end of april. So i quickly finished this prototype over the weekend. (So i am planning 11 more games. lol)

You can find out more on itch:

https://supernapie.itch.io/dead-sticks

Kinda cool. Digging the minimalist style. The intro just takes way too long before I can start playing (web version).

I think adding a more obvious visual cue when you unlocked a frozen node would go a long way into making it more satisfying and would help with understanding the mechanics.

Nice work nonetheless! How did you come up with this concept? 

Extra visual stuff or sound when you unlock a node is a very good idea.

I wanted to make a minimalistic game after playing Minimize on ios. I don't remember how i came up with the idea for clicking and then dropping the things. But i built some verlet physics experiments in the past with processing and flash. Originally those experiments started with code from this book http://www.apress.com/us/book/9781430216087 Some stuff is for the flash api but some stuff can still be ported to javascript. See the src/game/plugins/verlet.js file for my current implementation of numerical integration.

It helped a bit through my hangover but the game's too short. It would be cool if you made it calculate random =winnable= levels on the fly. I'm sure it'd be tough to figure out but rewarding. This is the kind of game that would benefit from that IMO. Maybe you could base difficulty on no. of sticks or so. I think I'd do that, wash face with flashy colors, music and FX and publish in phone market.