Text based game

Mission Mmorpg

Hello,

I was thinking about making a text based game. A hybrid of classics like Zork or Hobbit and point and click games. You would get a description of world in text and stuff that you could interact with would be underlined (or something else) and after clicking on it you would get a list of possible actions - i am not a fan of typing hundreds of possible actions and objects i would prefer to add more useless objects (so it wouldn't be too easy and straight forward)  into game but with clear possible actions.
In my opinion you can express yourself and your ideas better in a text than by drawing, especially if you are not good artist.  

Nova days players are lazy and like shiny things and this leads to my main concern and question for you. Do you think people would play this type of game nova days (if it was good) ? or lack of any graphics would be a wall for them. Would you play it ?

Can something like that be popular? Sure! A Dark Room was a hit and modern-ish take on that... buttons instead of typing commands, but it was still a 'Text Adventure' imo

But the best advice I can give is... would you enjoy making it? If you're a hobbyist, and your target is to make a popular game, I think there's more chance of ending up disappointed (or not finishing it) than if you set out to make a game you want to make and have passion for. 

2 hours ago, themoonrat said:

Can something like that be popular? Sure! A Dark Room was a hit and modern-ish take on that... buttons instead of typing commands, but it was still a 'Text Adventure' imo

But the best advice I can give is... would you enjoy making it? If you're a hobbyist, and your target is to make a popular game, I think there's more chance of ending up disappointed (or not finishing it) than if you set out to make a game you want to make and have passion for. 

I know the Dark Rook but it is not exactly an example of what i want to make. But it has no graphic true ;)

I know exactly what you mean  aiming for popularity or passion. Tbh i hate most of html5 games, most are made just for money, they got no "soul" if you know what i mean :) If i managed to get better and create games i would always make them with passion. Still even if i was a hobbyist i would like at least some people to enjoy my game :)  I was thinking about a deep story and big world to explore and this would take a lot of time to create, it would be terrible to spent 100s of hours and see 5 people play your game for a 3 min :)

I had an idea to create a prologue first and see if people like it, and than add more to the story.

I just wanted to know what do you think. 

A prologue/demo to test the water is a great idea.

I've got about 3-4 proof of concepts and rough designs for games that would fall in to that category and I've just started to really kick the tyres on creating a game that has 'a dark room' has inspiration (although its ended up very different).

I love text adventures and looking through iOS app store saw quite a few, although most looked like variants based on the same framework, no idea how popular. A dark room (and the follow up) was very successful, but text-heavy/graphic-light stuff is (and pretty much always has been) fairly niche, niches can be good but I'm not convinced you'll ever make money out of it, but, it sounds like you're more interested in people playing than money making (very good if that is true!) so I'd say there would be a small market, problem might be targeting potential players, but thats pretty much try of any product.