.babylon model doesn't load

dbawel

Hello,

I cannot get a .babylon file to load. There are no console errors, and the scene is extremely simple. I tried to load on the playground as well, and it won't load there either. Are there any issues with the Blender .babylon exporter at this time?

Please take a look if you can.

http://qedsoft.com/DEMOS2017/bjs_loader/index.html

Thanks,

DB

4 hours ago, davrous said:

Yeah, I've just looked to the code, you're never calling the createScene() function, so nothing will happen ;)

Hello @dbawel. I think this is the official answer. And it's valid on both threads, babylon load and obj load.

I tried too, and yes, nothing happed, but after you call createScene, a few error will appear in console.

Playground has inside a definition for engine and by default it calls createScene(), but in your code you have to define your canvas and engine and, manually call createScene()

No errors in the playground ?

Hey @Pryme8, @MarianG, @davrous, and others -

It was just me being an idiot as I called myself in the original post. @davrous saw that I was not calling my function to create the scene, so of course nothing would render. So in about 5 seconds, I got both .babylon files and OBJ files to load. The only issue I have is that I can't seem to load a .babylon file (mesh) and then simply change it's position, rotation, etc. 

I'm using a playground scene @Wingnut posted for reference, but I can't get  BABYLON.SceneLoader.ImportMesh(); to load a .babylon file so that I can access elements in an array such as is done in the following scene using newMeshes[0];  Here is the playground scene:

http://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1CMD3G#15

I just get an error in the console saying that ImportMesh() is not a valid function, and that newMeshes[0]; has no value. - and of course the mesh doesn't load - although it loads fine using BABYLON.SceneLoader.Load();

So I'll mark both of these as solved as soon as I can get a mesh to load and then to change it's position or any other transform. It obviously works on the playground scene, however, if I copy the code directly onto my server (taking into account the additional code required), the scene never loads and gives me the console error. So once I solve this, then I'm good. I also have found a way to get textures to map correctly onto OBJ and FBX imported files - whereas it's a real pain in the butt to correct this. But I can get all maps loaded onto imported formats with a few mouse clicks. So if anyone is interested and has encountered the same problem of textures not mapping and/or their meshes appearing black in Blender, then I have a simple solution which works 100% of the time.

I hope you can help me get the meshes imported and allow them to be transformed. I've done this myself many. many times, but it's failing for me now. So any help is really appreciated.

Thanks,

DB - the idiot!

Hey @Wingnut -

I appreciate the interest, and yes, I'm back for a while... probably a long while. There is so much work in WebGL right now, that I have my choice of cities and jobs to choose from. Currently, I'm working at Sony Electronics in San Diego as a Senior Engineer. So for someone who never graduated college, I've been very lucky my entire career in working on many of the top feature films, video games, TV shows, and now in a Senior Engineer position where everyone else I work with has at least 4 years of University - and most have spent 8 years in college alone studying Math, engineering, and so many other technical . However, since I have such a diverse job background and experience, I actually fit the role uniquely - and beyond most anyone else who has been applying for similar positions. I love my job here, ad hope it continues past my initial year long contract.

I chose the job and moved to San Diego since we lost our home in the "Thomas" fire a couple of weeks ago. But my family and pets are all OK, and stuff can always be replaced. So I'm just thankful for what I do have, and can easily forget about what I no longer have. It's taking allot less time to forget about what we lost than I ever expected. I just had to go to the outlet mall to buy some new clothes, and living out of a hotel sucks - but the alternatives are far worse. My Wife is in Thailand looking after her Mother who is terminally ill and getting worse - so our thoughts are with her in praying she gets better soon and can stay with us a whle longer.

So that's the latest updates from here in California. I love this job, and I hope everyone reading this stays working in WebGL, and specifically in babylon.js. The job opportunities are simply exploding out there right now, and in particular babylon.js as it's far more organized than three.js, as it was an easy task to convince Sony to invest in babylon.js over three.js simply because it's far more organized, and has much more support comparatively. So stick with it, and I'm sure most all of you will also begin to get calls from recruiters daily begging for you to come work wherever you wish.And the salaries are beginning at $100,000 US and I have to say I'm paid far greater than this in my job capacity here at Sony. And without this job, I would literally have nothing. So I prays for thanks everyday, as I would have nothing without this job as my family would certainly be living on the streets.

So I wish you all the best, and will help anyone else out there through their challenges in a area which is still quite young and needs people who can think outside the box - way outside the box.

Cheers,

DB

DB, man... sorry to hear about the house.  You've certainly rode the roller-coaster in recent years, but, it looks like sunny skies are on the near horizon, at least, monetarily.  Congrats on the Sony gig.  Keep your nose clean and your throttle spring stiff.  ;)

Ya know... I have a couple of 3D-adorned stories that... need telling.   All I want in exchange... is a Rokon motorcycle.  :)  (ahem)  (Too soon to be pitching stories at the new Sony exec?)  heh

Ok, so, let's see, we have a pipeline into Sony Creative.  hmm.  How can we exploit that, milking it until it is a hollow shell of...  I mean... uhhh...  what a unique opportunity!  :)

The comedy feels forced... this evening.  I'm not flowing.  heh. 

Best wishes and happy holidays, DB... damned good to have you back!  I hope the Thailand situation goes as well as possible.

Hey @Wingnut -

Thanks for all of your kind words. I'm just happy that I was able to convince Sony to use Babylon.js and not force myself and those in the future to the legacy issues with three.js. I'm looking forward to growing here with Sony, and love living in San Diego - even though the cost of living is FAR beyond anything I might have imagined.

And @Pryme8- There might be some work coming soon, but I'll let you know as things progress. I've only been here 2 weeks now, and they hired me due to my broad skill set. So I wear allot of hats right now, and will be looking for other devs to work on WebGL projects with me in the future - so I'll let you know when we get past the holidays and begin looking at the projects for next year Just try and answer the phone when I call - as that would be a good start. My home # is not getting to me right now as the fire took everything out, but I still have the # as it's a Vonage line. So I'll be getting The phone # back up and running next week, and will be moving to San Diego when my Wife returns from Thailand in January. Otherwise, it sucks living in a hotel right now - especially with pets.

It's good to talk with both of you - and @Wingnut - message me your phone # and/or email address when you get a chance.

Cheers,

DB

@dbawel Let me know, for sure!  I just got an offer to get relocated to Colorado to go be the head dev at Effortless Rental Group so if that goes through I might have to disappear off the grid for a while, but I am waiting to see whats happening with this custody case in Humboldt before I leave. 

Just stay in touch anyways, I was pretty worried about you when I saw the fire map.

Hi Andy,

I\ll be back in Ojai sorting through what's left this weekend, and will call you. So please pick up the phone if you hear it, as there's much to talk about. I hope everything is going well with you and Rachael, and would love to consider you for the team here. However, we'll talk this weekend, as I may require a couple more months before I get my budget for next year.

Cheers,

DB