Pre-import of meshes into memory

kurhlaa

Hello,

If there is an existing scene - is it possible to pre-import meshes without starting rendering them (something like isEnabled = false from the beginning)? For example, I would like to be able to load mesh from a *.babylon file into memory. So later, when/if I need it, I just call mesh.setEnabled(true) to make it visible.

If I do normal importMesh() - drawing a mesh first and then erasing it feels a little hacky, so I'm interested whether there is a cleaner way?!

Thanks!

Hi Kurhlaa.  https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#199WQ0#7

When you use scene.beforeRender or scene.beforeCameraRender  (see lines 63-67) to loop thru all mesh and setEnabled(false), I don't think the mesh get rendered at all.

So you are doing no back-walking that way, right?

I'm not sure that this is correct, but it makes sense, and I think I saw Deltakosh answer a similar question in a similar way.

Perhaps others will comment soon.

1 hour ago, JCPalmer said:

I do not know which exporter you use.  For Blender you can indicate to load the mesh already disabled.  This the same as @Wingnut's post, but no code as it is stored directly into the JSON file.

I use Blender. How this works internally? importMesh() will also create normal visible mesh first, which then will be disabled automatically (hacky way)? Or it will create disabled mesh directly (fastest way)?