Phaser 1.1.5 Released and where we're going next

rich

Hi all,

I've just pushed Phaser 1.1.5 to the master branch on github. This fixes a range of bugs, including a few physics ones, missing documentation and fixed TypeScript defs.

It also includes a "Call to arms" to help test Phaser 1.2, which I'd urge you to help with if you can.

Please note that I will still accept pull requests against the dev branch for a potential 1.1.6 release, but that I won't be fixing any of the outstanding current physics issues because progress with 1.2 has been so fast, and basically so awesome that I don't want to waste any time patching ArcadePhysics as it has been removed entirely from 1.2.

Believe me I carefully considered this. As I see it there are two options: Get 1.2 out FAST and forget 1.1.4 ever existed, or struggle to work on both and slow down the development of each of them. While I could potentially do a roll-back to 1.1.3 and include the tilemap features of 1.1.4, that is still quite a chunk of work to undertake. I was considering it though right up until this week, but to be honest 1.2 is more than just replacing physics, it's a deep change across most of it.

I probably should have left 1.1.4 in dev only, but there were so many fixes in there (well outside of physics, not that you can call that 'fixed') that it seemed a shame to just not release it at all. Trust me, I didn't want it to be quite as broken as it is in some cases. Lots of 1.1.4 works better than previously, but given the biggest overhaul was the tilemaps it's ironic that it's those sort of games that have the issues the most (because of the physics changes).

Right now though I can't state enough how fast 1.2 has moved. The new version of Pixi has made life considerably better for me, p2.js is bloody wonderful and I'm using 1.2 exclusively for client work now. If anything I think it's fair to say that the issues I know about with 1.1.4 are a dramatic form of motivation to ship 1.2 faster!

I fully expect to have 1.2 released this month. It's a serious "tidy up" release. So many things removed, made neater, made smaller and basically all a bit more smarter. The new Pixi is doing wonders under the hood, and having a proper real physics system in there is making all the difference for our client projects, so I'm sure you'll enjoy it too!

"I won't be fixing any of the outstanding current physics issues"

Sad to hear that, as it leaves all arcade-physics based games hanging that were (are) being developed while phaser 1.1.4 (although it still being "dev" at the time) was "heavily" advertised to be used (because of the new tilemap-system) and now it has broken physics that completely break jump & run games. ( 374373388 and kind of broken y-axis collison - most of them noticeable even in the simple starstruck example by only changing 1-2 parameters, see issues)

:(

I know it's free, open source and a lot of work.

I still wasn't expecting this abandoning of the half done switch of the physics system to SAT.

The physics of 1.1.3 would have been fine, but (for my game at least) a change back to 1.1.3 is not acceptable because of the tilemap-changes.

"I won't be fixing any of the outstanding current physics issues"

Sad to hear that, as it leaves all arcade-physics based games hanging that were (are) being developed while phaser 1.1.4 (although it still being "dev" at the time) was "heavily" advertised to be used (because of the new tilemap-system) and now it has broken physics that completely break jump & run games. ( 374, 373, 388 and kind of broken y-axis collison - most of them noticeable even in the simple starstruck example by only changing 1-2 parameters, see issues)

:(

I know it's free, open source and a lot of work.

I still wasn't expecting this abandoning of the half done switch of the physics system to SAT.

The physics of 1.1.3 would have been fine, but (for my game at least) a change back to 1.1.3 is not acceptable because of the tilemap-changes.

I agree, this is disappointing. I've been working a dev version of 1.1.4 from before it was considered done due to the physics issues because I need the Tilemap features.

To be fair lads, I support Rich. Keep that innovation coming and be prepared to evolve or simply get left behind. I am only here now because of progress made, if rich was stuck back on 0.7.2 trying to make everyone happy, it just becomes another stale project surpassed elsewhere.

Don't get me wrong, I look forward to 1.2. I'm just disappointed with a release being completely useless. It should have stayed in the dev branch. I mean, at this point, any new user of Phaser will be using a broken framework without even knowing it.

I'm excited for 1.2, and will be glad to be rid of these physics bugs when it is released and working.

Believe me I carefully considered this. As I see it there are two options: Get 1.2 out FAST and forget 1.1.4 ever existed, or struggle to work on both and slow down the development of each of them. While I could potentially do a roll-back to 1.1.3 and include the tilemap features of 1.1.4, that is still quite a chunk of work to undertake. I was considering it though right up until this week, but to be honest 1.2 is more than just replacing physics, it's a deep change across most of it.

I probably should have left 1.1.4 in dev only, but there were so many fixes in there (well outside of physics, not that you can call that 'fixed') that it seemed a shame to just not release it at all. Trust me, I didn't want it to be quite as broken as it is in some cases. Lots of 1.1.4 works better than previously, but given the biggest overhaul was the tilemaps it's ironic that it's those sort of games that have the issues the most (because of the physics changes).

Right now though I can't state enough how fast 1.2 has moved. The new version of Pixi has made life considerably better for me, p2.js is bloody wonderful and I'm using 1.2 exclusively for client work now. If anything I think it's fair to say that the issues I know about with 1.1.4 are a dramatic form of motivation to ship 1.2 faster!

We all know that passing from a single AABB physics engine to something more powerful is really complex and changes in depth the framework architecture, at least for impacted classes.

So let's consider 1.1.4 as a first attempt to evolve to something far better. Even great companies (microsoft, google, etc) make mistakes sometimes and still go on !

We all wait for 1.2 and hope the contributors won't hurry under pressure : we all prefer a good 1.2 than a buggy one ;-)