80+ HTML5 games on the Flambe Haxe showcase

Aduros

Full disclosure: I'm the primary author of Flambe, a free, open source game engine.

I'm thrilled to announce the new Flambe Haxe showcase at https://github.com/aduros/flambe/wiki/Showcase!

showcase-montage.jpg

This is really exciting not just for the Flambe project, but everyone working in the HTML5 and Haxe game communities as it further validates a lot of hard work we've been doing. Both HTML5 and Haxe have traditionally been viewed as experimental technologies for games, but that's changing very quickly.

Some key takeaways from the showcase:

• Powers major media brands as well as indies: Nickelodeon, Disney, Mattel, Hasbro, Toyota, General Mills, and others are using Flambe's rapid development workflow to produce hundreds of games.
  • HTML5 is ready for games: High performance WebGL with canvas fallback, importing of Flash animations using Flump, and multi-channel audio makes these among the most polished HTML5 games out there.
  • Truly cross-platform: These games are playable on both desktop and mobile, with support for both input methods and screen sizes built from the same source code. Desktop builds can run in Flash for widest possible browser support.

More information about Flambe Haxe can be found over at https://github.com/aduros/flambe.

I wrote a handy guide to learn and understand Flambe: 

https://github.com/markknol/flambe-guide/wiki

It covers lots of topics you'll need to know;

understanding working with component/entity, tweening, user interaction, animation workflow, working with assets, using external libraries (physics, particles), debugging, publishing

There is also a demo's library, if you like to learn from reading code

https://github.com/aduros/flambe-demos

Flambe uses Stage3d for Flash target, so when compiling to android app, the performance can be pretty good. I'm working on a android game using flambe, its performace is very good, for what ive seen, even on older models. However I understand that native binairies can be faster, but im not sure how much exactly.

• 1 month later...

I just found Flambe and started testing it out. I seems like a really awesome framework, very neat and intuitive and with an incredible showcase to vouch for it.

My concerns with Flambe are as follows:

• The development seems to be slow (judging by the number and frequency of commits) and by very few contributors. Is it still under active development or only being maintained? Where's the roadmap?
  • There are a lot of old issues and pull-requests that have not been handled. This makes me somewhat nervous about getting involved.
  • The framework seems pretty bare-bones. Where are the contributions from Disney and Nickelodeon?

I hope that Aduros is able to answer these questions.

Either way, I am going to experiment with Flambe some more to see if it is a good fit for my projects. Thanks a lot to Aduros for your work on Flambe and markknol for you excellent Flambe guide! :)

• 2 months later...

Just studying Flambe/Haxe for professional use (actually it's a requisite of a client brief)... I've looked into Haxe before but dismissed it because I feel the need to be closer to the actual 'runtime' code (not have it authored mostly by a machine).

Having gone through the Flambe demos on a range of devices (iPad1, Kindle 1st Gen, Macbook pro, iPad3, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2), checking HTML5 output, I can only say I am very, very impressed at both performance and support for tricky things like audio.

I'm concerned that not more people are using this combination of dev tools though - I can only guess it's due to the relative obscurity of Haxe - it's well documented in places, but not at all elsewhere.

I shall definitely pay both Haxe and Flambe more attention from now on however! It really is magic - I just want to know HOW it works - is there an intermediate language that Haxe compiles to, with this mapping to other sources e.g. JS (like LLVM)? This 'source of the magic' is seemingly nowhere to be found on the web.