3rd Person Camera with offset [Solved]

Rehkitz

Hello,

I wanted to create a 3rd person camera that is similar to the game Fortnite. I created already one example where the player is always in the center, but many games have a little offset to the camera and is more pointing to the shoulder of the character.

I have no idea what math I have to use and all my attemps just changed the pivot point.

Here is my example:

https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#JHB4AG#1

It would be cool if someone can explain me what I have to do so that the camera is pointing to the upper right corner of the cube, but the rotation is around the character.

Thanks for the help, but I need a camera position offset, not a rotation offset. In this example the cemera is right behin the object, but I want the camera behind but slighty to the right. The pivot point should still be the charachter.

I want a camera like this (This is not my video, just an example for the camera I want): 

Hiya R!  Sorry that I misunderstood.  Umm... I don't think the camera in the video... has its target/pivot set to character position.

From what I can tell, the camera target is an invisible mesh, parented to character, positioned up and right of character.

Let's have some fun, using that idea...

https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1CC7UC#19

Thoughts?

Essentially, this is simulating an arcFollowCamera.  Let's try one of those... without any camera .alpha spins.

https://www.babylonjs-playground.com/#1CC7UC#20

Wingnut not doing so well.  :) I will keep thinking/testing.  Others might have more ideas.

• 10 months later...

Hi,

i was looking also for a third person camera ( arcRotCam ) attached to a physic mesh and found this topic.

Instead that the mesh moves the cam, i wanted to inherit the movement from the mesh to the cam.

End result should be a vr camera which is attached to an object/mesh (car) that is moving. The cam should rotate with the mesh in curves and also allow to look around.

What I came up with and it worked:

renderloop(){

if(keydown){

scene.activeCamera.target.x = parseFloat(targetMesh.position.x);

scene.activeCamera.target.z = parseFloat(targetMesh.position.z);

eulers = this.targetMesh.rotationQuaternion.toEulerAngles();

scene.activeCamera.alpha = -parseFloat(eulers.y);

}

}

The problem now is that i constantly block/override the alpha/rotation of the camera so the users input e.g. on leftMouse down/or later on deviceoriantation has no effect anymore on rotating the camera on the y Axis/alpha. Does someone have an idea how to also add the users input values to that.

Thanks a lot

• 4 weeks later...