Receiving money from publishers

AllanRW

Even though Paypal can (and does) have high fees, it is usually the best option and most requested by publishers. Going through banks, especially internationally, can be a headache depending on the bank and country. They both have their merits depending on situation. Hope this helps a bit! 

EDIT: Clarity

Edited by Bisquit

Going through banks, especially internationally, can be a headache at best

I (in all honesty) fail to see the "headaches". What's the problem with entering a BIC, an IBAN, tick on "priority" and hit send? 

The amount of cash that payment processors like Paypal rake in is unbelievable. Their transaction fees are higher than the profit margin in a lot of industries, just for perspective ;)

If you send 50 grand via international wire it costs you like 50 cents for the wire itself and EUR 15 for same day priority (and that includes some dude getting on the horn and calling the other bank while watching funds tickle down a screen).

The same thing done via Paypal sets you short a 4 digit number, you have to deal with an organisation that has no full bank license (and thus: no full deposit protection fund coverage) and who are notorious for intransparently freezing funds for "approval periods". Within the EU, for SEPA transactions, you have a guaranteed float of 1 day max, when going through the banking system.

Of course I offer paypal, because some people really prefer it (for mysterious reasons).. we offer Wire, SEPA Business to Business Direct Debit, Paypal and Credit Card, but for both last ones I dump the fees onto the customer.. that does wonders to motivate people to go see their banker  :)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The following payment methods I used are paypal, wire transfers or interac e-transfer if my publishers card company is within my region. Interac e-transfers seems to have lowest rates, but not all bank companies support it. I also think it might be only available for Canadians at the moment, I think.