[WIP] Freight Train Manager - Fast puzzle game

Sandcastle Games

Hi everyone,

I have just created a new free puzzle game I had on my idea list.

The setting is a freight train station with several tracks and switches. The player must prepare trains with ordered goods by routing the carriages to the correct track. Several carriages must be controlled in parallel.

screenshot.jpg.b297dbefdeb090bd9a2e7b0e0c57d219.jpg

It works on PC as well as mobile devices. For mobile I recommend the full screen mode (from the hamburger menu).

I intend to continue development but it is already playable. The game concept is fully working but I might work on graphics, more levels and additional game elements.

I appreciate any feedback on improvements, bug reports etc. Especially I am always worried about different browser/device behavior.

The game can be played at www.sandcastlegames.de

The game is in Javascript without the use of any libraries. I like to learn about the nuts and bolts myself. The website contains other games I developed so far. I try to create some games now and then next to my regular job as software developer (not web or game related). I want to learn some new technology I have not yet worked with and want to see if game development might be a secondary income in the future. Right now everything is free and without ads. Obviously I am no great graphics or music artist so my games are limited to small games with easy graphics but hopefully fresh  ideas.

Hope you enjoy it!

Sandcastle Games

I made some changes. Probably I do not remember everything:

- some simple graphic instead of the conceptual skeleton before

- more levels

- reloading instead of cached version is enforced

- improved touch sensitivity

- added version number to title image so people can refer to it

screenshot.jpg.2e5cb2eadadffeca28fa8ae5ded31b32.jpg

You can still play it on my website.

Feedback is still appreciated.

Can someone help trying this with an older smartphone?

I am thinking about optimizing the graphics performance by buffering the static graphics and only painting the changes on top. However on my recent but low end smart phone and my computers I achieve already maximum frames per second and will not see a difference with this change, Can someone report if it is not running smooth on older smartphones?

I have no feeling what smartphones can achieve with a script language like javascript. I am using SVG graphics as sprites. They are realy easy but still it will be a lot of lines, rectangles, circles etc. to paint for 60 frames per second. Especially if a smartphone has to emulate a GPU it might get slow.